Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gotta rant, read if you will.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Droog, May 27, 2005.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    OK so our drummer is history. A little background. We are a three piece, the guitar/vocalist is one of my best friends. The drummer is a few years older than us and grew up in the same town as us. From the get go we really did not want to get involved with the guy. He is an alcoholic, former coke head, he has severe emotional issues, basically an a** hole.

Last night, we are practicing and we come to a song that none us really enjoy a whole lot, but we need the material. Drummer says whats the point in keeping a song we will eventually drop and GTR/Vocals says, well eventually we will probobly drop most of these songs. (This is by the way a very true statement, we were still finding our "voice" if you will). So Drummer says, Thats it I am done for the night and starts packing up his stuff. He leaves the room, comes back grabs a few more things and calls my friend a Spick and walks off, then has the balls to come back in and get something else before he leaves. I am sorry but the 9 year old tantrum is one thing (not profesional to say the least) but saying what he did is just too far. I am amazed my friend kept his cool, because if would not have, I would not have.

There are a lot of bums out there, they feed off negative attention, their talents are far out shadowed by the person they really are. I don't regret the months of work we did with the guy, I am definatley a better bass player, and I always new he was a train wreck waitng to happen, so I am not too distraught, just angry. Oh, and turns out coke is still in his diet. Hopefully he has the brains to realize that its over, thoug it would be nice to tell him.

Thanks for listening.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    *cough drummer cough*

But in all seriousness, that's a good thing right? I'm sorry it went down that way though.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So what's the problem? There is a god, and he's on your side.

4. Sounds like it was time for him to leave anyway. You can always find a new drummer, so what's the big deal?

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Get the negativity away from your gig. Be content with that decision.

He now has no gig, no gig money, and thus less money for coke. He's no longer your bandmate and buddy, so next time you see him and he acts like an a$$, you can slug him square in his white-powder covered, runny nose.

6. Should have responded "Same reason we're playing with a drummer we'll eventually have to drop."

My vote? Keep the song, lose the drummer. I've never seen a song beat up because it deserved it. It would have to happen sooner or later.

Randy

7. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Just partin' the wheat from the chaff. Look over your prospectives carefully so you don't wind up where you are again.
    Good luck

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    This just in: a local band has lost their drummer due to drug and personality problems, film at 11...in other news, the sky is BLUE, rain is WET, and Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still DEAD.

:)

9. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    OK, Ok I know you guys have seen this a million times, but I am still relatively inexperianced in these matters. But yeah, your right. Whats the big deal? There is no big deal. We are done with that guy. We already have leads on a couple drummers, and hey we have a demo to shop for others too. You fella's help put it in perspective. Just got to move on, guess I was just suprised that people can be such ass holes. One less thing that I won't put past a person.

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You call THAT a rant????
    You hardly even woke up the profanity filter...
    Let it out guy. You're among friends and we've all dealt with drummers.
    :D

11. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Ha! Thats awesome. I tried to be kinda chill. Its really kind of a saga with this guy. Burning bridges left and right, scaring his girlfriend, self loathing, the whole bit. But at this point am going to try and not kick him when he is down. I just don't want him in my life at all. Thanks for the support.

12. Yes, never a good thing to kick someone indiscriminately when he's down. Aim for his nuts. :hyper: :eek: :bawl:

Randy

13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Actually you have it easy. He left. That is much easier than having to fire him.

14. Franco's dead? I just saw him at Lobster Fest! He bought me and Napoleon each a Rolling Rock. Mussolini was driving, otherwise he'd have been tipping one back as well...

15. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Yeah, there was a lot less drama than I was antisipating. But he is the kind of guy who would come to future shows and make an ass of himself. Oh well, well see.