Gotta replace fan in my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I recently bought a Carvin Fet 900 power amp. The fan is not working and was wondering what it would cost to get it replaced. Parts express has fans running in the 10 to 15.00 range. How much does labor run on a repair like that?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Be forewarned that it might not be just a simple matter of replacing a fan. Sometimes there are internal controls which determine when the fan gets power, and how much. Simply plopping a new fan in there might not solve your problem.

Also, you need a fan that fits that unit. An "off the shelf" Radio Shack fan might not fit.

Labor on a simple fan replacement shouldn't be too much, but I'd prepare for up to $50 to be safe, not including the cost of the part.
  3. Wait! Don't bring it in to get repaired! It is as easy as snipping 2 wires and twisting new ones on. Super easy. It doesn't matter if the system is 2 speed regulated or whatever.

They are a standard size. In fact you can use a computer fan. It's the same and will only cost about $3. I've done this myself and it worked great.

I just looked at a picture of the Carvin FET 900 and it is indeed the standard issue fan. Don't get ripped off on this.
  4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    As Eric suggested, the problem might not even be the fan, but the circuitry that powers it. If the fan itself is defective, then you must replace it with a similar one. Not only one that is physically the same size, but also one that operates at the same voltage: AC or DC; 12V? 18V? 24V? And one that moves about the same amount of air, too.

I would contact Carvin for information and advice before going ahead blind.