Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gotta see a man about a horse?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FenderBender, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Anyone know who, when, where, this phrase started???

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    In the municipality that i live in in northern England the term is

"Got to go see a man about a dog"

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    As far as I know, you just invented it.

4. Thats quite a popular saying thats been around for many years at construction sites here in northern Canada :smug:

Dunno how it originated.

5. I gotta know now its driving me nutttttts!!!! :hyper:

I can just imagine John Wayne or Gary Cooper coining it.

6. Okay, I came up with this if anyone else gives a "horse"

TO SEE A MAN ABOUT A DOG (OR HORSE) - "Although in the late nineteenth century, to 'see a man about a dog' meant to visit a woman for sexual purposes, it now means to go to the bathroom. It is, of course, a traditional answer to the questions Where are you going or What's your destination? The variations on these expressions are endless and include: Go see a dog about a horse, go and see a dog about a man, go and shoot a dog, go and feed a dog, go and feed the goldfish, go and mail a letter and go to one's private office." From the "The Wordsworth Book of Euphemism" by Judith S. Neaman and Carole G. Silver (Wordsworth Editions, Hertfordshire, 1995).

: And on an old blues recording I have, the performer said he had to "go see a man about a horse" and he meant he was going to go do some drugs. A little play on "horse" for heroin.

Here's what I believe I posted before on the 'Dog' theme:

When someone says that they are going to see a man about a dog they really mean that they are unwilling to reveal the true nature of their business. The expression comes from the long forgotten 1866 play Flying Scud in which one of the characters uses the words as an excuse to get away from a tricky situation. This is the only thing that seems to have survived from the play.

7. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    i always thought it was a euphemism for "i have to take a leak." but that may be just because my dad (RIP) used to say that everytime he had to take a leak.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll get back to you, but right now the dog's barking at the door. Then I've got to go drop the kids of at the pool. The women like to use the phrase "Im going to go 'freshen up'."

9. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    I gotta go take the Browns to the Super Bowl.

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    So, it's safe to say you're prairie doggin' it right now? I just hope you ain't been touchin' cloth...

11. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Careful or you might have to employ turtle recall.

12. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    I have to go shake hands with the unemployed :p

13. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    My father used the same euphemism for the same thing....the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree either because I've caught myself using the same phrase.

14. for some reason, i only say it when i'm playing out at a bar.

robb.

15. Making a contribution to the world water shortage.

Feeding the folliage (if you are camping.)

Rock on
    Eric:ninja: