1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gouged out string nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jimbowhit7, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    Hopefully I can articulate my problem clearly, so here goes:

I purchased a new set of strings for one of my basses today (105-50) where the set that was on before was much heavier. The previous owner had gouged the nut out significantly to accommodate these strings (especially the E string) and now when I play the low E (which I have tuned to D) it makes an odd rattling noise because of the extra room around the string. I was wondering if there was a way to put something in the slot that would take up that remaining space and eliminate the noise, without me having to get a new nut put on it - or at least as a temporary fix until I got around to having that done. Any suggestions?

2. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Baking soda and superglue, then reslot.

Pilgrim likes this.
  3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    First things first.

Check to see that there are enough wraps on the post(s) to ensure proper down pressure at the nut. It is also a good idea to make sure that you've established a good witness point on the string at the nut.

If both of those are good, then either filling and re-cutting the slot or replacing the nut is the next step.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    96tbird, lz4005 and Matt Liebenau like this.