1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gouged rosewood finger b oard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wpkg, Jan 2, 2007.

1. wpkg

wpkg

Sep 22, 2006
    bloomfield, nj
    Hello,

I recently aquired a new axe and noticed that there is a small gouge in the fingerboard right near the fourth fret, on the bridge side (towards the body) so far it hasnt been a problem but is this something to fix or worry about? it is small and not that deep and doesnt look like it will spread.

thanks...

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It shouldn't be anything to worry about. I doubt it will spread. There's not a whole lot of stress there. Something probably dropped on it or the bass hit something and a piece of wood chipped out. Keep an eye on it, but I think it's just cosmetic.

3. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    That reminds me, I need to get some lemon oil to darken up some string abrasions on my frets 1-3 on the E side. Then it will be good as new. :D

4. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Yeah - try the spit or lemon oil, but it's certainly not something to worry about. Make up a cool story about how it got there :D

- and hey, as an aside, is it okay to use furniture polish on unfinished rosewood boards?

What about Mineral Oil?

Sorry to have hijacked the thread :|

5. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Mineral oil is the thing to use. I think furniture polish is mostly mineral oil, but it also has waxes and stuff that helps to crud up your strings.