Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gout sucks!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Mar 8, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am currently having my fourth bout with this awful condition.

The first three times was in my right big toe.

This time it is my right ankle.

What really sucks is that I have been eating much better the past few weeks. Not much red meat, no organ meats, mostly fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

Bing cherries and high doses of aspirin are helping a bit. Hoping to avoid going to the expense of going to the doctor and getting prescriptions. It is tough, though. I am really wanting some of those very powerful antiinflammatories and some hydrocodone.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That sucks man...a friend of mine has a patient who had a buildup of the urates so bad and so inflamed on his toe that they amputated the toe!

brad cook

EDIT: Now that I think about it I'm wondering if I've got that right...maybe he said he would have been better off amputating it or something but I want to say they actually did.

3. Excuse my ignorance, but what is gout? I know is a medical condition and all that, but what does it do? Obviously it's painful?

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Indocid or Indomethacin knocks it right down.
    See you doctor and get some ASAP.
    I never leave home without it in my suitcase.

=====
    Gout is caused by a high level of uric acid in the body,
    eventually it salts out and forms crystals, needlelike, in the
    joint fluid. I have had it in my right ankle and only Indocid cured it.

Avoid shrimp, lots of red meat, lobster, and red wine.

You have to knock it down first, before you can manage it.

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Then, they'll give you allopurinal to manage it. Works very well. Get to the doctor; there are some long-term effect of gout that can get pretty nasty.

6. embellisher

Yeah, I am going to get on allopurinol this time. It sucks to have to take a medication for the rest of your life, but this is my fourth attack. I ain't going through this again!

I just pray that I keep my sanity until tomorrow. That is the earliest I could get an appointment.

7. embellisher

Yeah, I know about the foods to avoid. What sucks is that I have been eating right for several weeks. I am not supposed to have to worry about a gout flareup when I am being good!:mad::(

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, my boss came down with gout a few years ago. It was a good several months before he got it under control with the meds, but if you don't want to have flare ups I think that's the only way to go. Changing your diet will lessen it, but not eliminate it from what I understand.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yeah, diet is not the prime factor, but increased water intake can have a very good effect. (I know a lot about gout... dammit!)

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hey, jeff, i hope you get better :(

:)

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have a friend who struggles with the occasional bout of gout. Diet control didn't help. At the doctor's advise he cut the alcohol intake seems to have cured him completely.

12. "I wear brown orthopedic shoes, cuz I've got a bad case of the gout." Hehe couldn't resist. High five to anyone who knows where the quote came from. *waits for someone to search google :p

13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Lunch Lady Land...(hoagies and grinders, hoagies and grinders...), by Adam Sandler? Just a guess... didn't google it, so most likely I'm wrong.

Anyways, I hope that you get that stuff squared away, and for good, Jeff. Diet, Allopurinol, laying off the suds and tons of water is all I know about. Maybe the Bass MD Mike will chime in...

Hang in there bro.

14. Jeff, I pretty much know how you feel.

I've had a few attacks of either gout, or pseudogout.
    www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/gout/gout.htm

I'm not 100% sure which it was, because whenever I got it, it would subside by the time I could get to the doctor. About a year ago, I had an episode with this condition (I refuse to rhyme and say, "A bout with gout," because I know you're in pain) and told my doctor about it when I went for a regular check up about a month later. He said, "It sounds like you had gout."

He also said that I might just be prone to getting an attack if I eat/drink too much of the wrong stuff. IIRC, all the attacks I had seemed to happen around late December - The Holidays !!!

This year I did not wear my Henry VIII costume and made sure that I overindulged in nothing, and Mr. Gout passed by my door. Thank God !!!

Mine always started in my left big toe and would seem to leave my toe, and then travel to my heel, making it next to impossible to walk for about 2 days.

I hope I never find whether it's real gout, or the imposter.

I feel for you, buddy. Get well soon. :)

Mike

So, Mr. Ibanks and Mr. Thor, we have something else in common, eh?

15. Navy beans navy beans meat loaf sandwich. You got it! :)

Oh and Jeff, if it gets too bad you can take comfort in the fact that your zon and nordie always have a good home up here. It'll have a nice backyard out in the country. :p yeah yeah I'm jealous. Get well soon.

16. Embellisher,

Bad thing about Gout is that what you eat is only part of it. The rest is determined by those pesky genes! It sounds like you're doing all the right things.

Indocin/allopurinol/colchicine--these three medications together can help quiet the attacks and prevent future flair ups. While waiting to get in to see your doc you might have better luck with ibuprofen than aspirin.

Other tips that I remember are to avoid alcohol and lose weight. Seems those two things work for a lot of conditions. I've got the alcohol thing down but the losing weight is a constant battle. :rolleyes:

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Jeff, hope you're feeling better soon. It sounds like a horrible affliction.

(Did anyone else see the title of this thread and read "Goat sucks"? I can't be the only pervert in the room... can I?)

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I though it said "goat socks". And yes, you are the only pervert in the room :)

19. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Take care man and get better soon !!!!!

20. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've got the gout too it is not too much fun. The doc gave me a prescription for some meds she said I would have to take the rest of my life (don't remeber the name of em). I never even picked em up. Well only being 28 I didn't wanna do that. I asked for any other alternatives, she pretty much said watch what you eat and don't go binge drinking (especially beer). Well I haven't binged since the days of my early 20's so I went on a mission to try and determine the cause. I found that red meat was the direct cause of me getting attacks. I get them so bad i cannot go to work cause I couldn't walk. I also started excersicing and working out that seemed to have helped. I rarely get them anymore maybe once every 6 months used to be like every other week it was horribly. I do have a prescription the doc gave me (Indomethacin) I'll take it when i get an attack and it does a pretty good job of subsiding it. Well hang in there I know what its like to be gimpdafied. I blame my genes..............