1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Government Mule announces new bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chroma601, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    wow, i am curious to hear this guy. though i liked andy's work just fine, especially considering the shoes he had to fill. they're playing pittsburgh november 2nd, i'll have to check this dude out.

2. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    i loved andy hess' playing. his chilled out grooves and laid back style really sounded fantastic.

sad to see him go, happy for his new endeavors and excited to hear Jorgen Carlsson cause i have no idea who he is!! ha

3. :( I really wish we could swear on the board right now. :(

4. jamfree

jamfree

Nov 10, 2005
    I wonder who Andy will be playing with...he is really jaw droppingly good.

5. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I liked andy's playing and he fit well w/ the mule (I've seen him 4-5 times w/ mule). I will say though that his tone did not cut through the mix well live and half the time he played w/ his back to the audience. It will be an interesting next step in the evolution of the mule. there is a new group photo on mule.net. dude's hair looks dyed--especially for a scandanavian!

6. I was thinking the same thing!

7. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    That really sucks! I have seen Mule three times with Andy and I think he is probably one of the most underrated bass players out there. He has a very laid back style and can definitely lay down an awesome groove. I can honestly say that I will not be as big of a fan of Mule without him!

8. AlstottMVP2

AlstottMVP2

May 9, 2007
    I saw them in 1996. They were in Ft Myers, actually playing at a warehouse, hanging out with other friends of Johnnie van zandt who has a studio here. I was just a kid playing in another warehouse in the place, but we walked over when taking a break to see who was playing. I was a guitarist back then, but the only thing I remember from that day was just how insanely fast the bass player was. That was their original bassist who passed away in 2000 I think. That's all I can remember... he was noodling an was just so fast. They introduced themselves, I had no clue who govt mule was.

9. one word me shell

10. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I remember seeing Allan Woody several times and HE was the Man. Wow did he have some groovy stuff happening. Hess was smooth and good with his P basses. Heres hoping the new guy has some edgy stuff to throw once in awhile like Woody did.

11. I saw this a few days back and was bummed then and I still am. I'm seeing them on November 12th and I was really looking forward to seeing Andy. I thought he fit great with the band. Oh well.......

12. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Yeah - I liked Hess a lot too, really smooth, great P Bass + Ampeg tone, really supportive and groovy at the same time, kind of epitimizes everything I enjoy about playing bass.

Nice dude too, anyone know what he's doing now?

13. I wish I did. His website doesn't mention anything about the Mule split.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Gah! Why must we jump through hoops?!

Jorgen Carlsson from Sweden is the guy.

15. :confused: Sorry, hoops?

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's just a saying. Think flaming hoops in a circus where one has to 'jump through hoops' to get to the other side?? Why not just post the guy's name instead of posting a link to another page?

17. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    I'd rather know were Hess is going......

18. Gotcha!:D

19. Dang! I wish I'd heard (along with hundreds of other guys who would have gotten the gig FAR ahead of me!) that Warren was looking for a bass player! He's so amazing. I'd LOVE to play bass for that funky little troll!

I have a set list from one of last Mule shows Woody did. I tore it off the stage as they were finishing and Woody signed it for me after the show. Sweet dude.

Anyone ever heard Warren's pre-Mule CD, "Tales of Ordinary Madness"? There was some CRAZY funky bass playing on that—MUCH funkier than any Mule stuff. I think Michael Rhodes did most of it. Killer slap sounds and sweet fretless.