Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Governmental songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 29, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Sorry bout the stupid subject, i couldnt think of anything else that sounded good.

In our american history class, we have to get a song with lyrics that have a meaning about war/governments. I know that sounds stupid but today we listened to a song that was played during the veitnam war, and how it expressed how the people felt and how much they wanted the war to stop. And i need to get a song like that. I had in mind "beds are burning" by midnight oil, "f*** Authority" by Pennywise, or something by Operation Ivy. Any suggestions?
    Sorry for the lack of info.

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Here are some songs. I think they're all about America (since this is an American history class you say)...

-Wrongful Suspicion - Rancid
    -Bullet the Blue Sky - U2
    -WMA - Pearl Jam
    -Rocking in the Free World - Neil Young
    -Fight the Power - Public Enemy

3. Try most Bruce Springsteen songs. Alot of them are about the Vietnam war and alot of them are about the goverment.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Your question brings back memories. During the VietNam War, we called anti-war music "protest music." There is a bunch of such music on the dual CD soundtrack to the movie "Good Morning VietNam."

That said, war and government commentary music goes back even to the Revolutionary War and Civil War. I'm not sure what your teacher is after...actual protest music or any music dealing with war.

For example, the great World War II (or WWI?)song, "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again" Another is the great Irish song "Oh, Danny Boy." "Yankee Doodle went to Town" was a Revolutionary War song. Our national anthem "The Star Spangled Banner" was about a Revolutionary War battle. The song, "Look Away DixieLand" was a great Civil war song. In fact, way back in the day when I attended the University of Florida, the song was played at football games and many people rose and stood at attention as if it was a special anthem. (I'm not saying that was right. I'm just saying that is what they did.)

Also, does your teacher want anti-govenrment without war as a possibility. I know of one in Venezuela that criticized the long stream of ineffective presidents, "Presidentes Vienen." There must be many like that in English about the U.S.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rage Against the Machine in connection to anti-war and governemnt protest songs. I can't recall the name of the song, but one was against the unfair treament of an imprisoned native American.

Check out Bob Dylan's catalog of music, too. And Peter, Paul and Mary. The song "The Answer My Friend Is Blowing in the Wind" could be interpreted to be a plea for peace. Also, "If I Had a Hammer." (I'd hammer for love and peace all over this land.)

Also check country and Western music. They have a long tradition of creating very patriotic music, especially when the U.S. is at war. Lee Greenwood's "I'm Proud to Be an American" stands out in my mind among many, many others going back to the fifties, such as the "Green Baret" song.

5. The Star Spangled Banner was written about the War of 1812.

The Ramones have a couple of songs about vietnam vets. Though they're kinda too funny and goofy to really be a protest band.

What about the DEAD KENNEDYS????? HELLLO! Jello Biafra is the epitome of the protesting punk. Also, Rancid's "Rawanda", Bad Religion's "generator" has lots of songs about the Gulf War.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I suggest you visit www.pokerface.com

that's a real alternative to regular government-related music.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

:eek: Have I got to back to school or what?:(

9. Try anything by Anti-Flag (Red, White, and Brainwashed; Die For Your Government, etc.). They have a really current one protesting the "war on terrorism" called 911 For Peace. They have lyrics and a free mp3 on www.anti-flag.com.

10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thats the song im doing now, 911 for peace. But, I CANT FIND LYRICS :( Little help guys? thanks in advance

11. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    http://www.anti-flag.com/anti-flag/911forpeace.html

there you go

"War?" by System of a Down gets my vote though... there are tons of great Bad Religion and Rage Against the Machine songs too... or Dead Kennedys - "Kinky Sex Makes the World Go Round"... its not really a song though... its spoken word over background music

12. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    anyone ever heard 'eve of destruction' by barry mcguire.

its about how war is everywhere and how you arent old enough to vote yet your old enough to go to war and kill. its probably the only song i know that fits what you want, and midnight oil recently did a cover of this. midnight oil are australian so you mightnt wanna mention that in your american history class.
    later
    Lukas

13. Nah, just read this Bop. :D

Star Spangled Banner and the War of 1812.

I'd check out the Good Morning VietNam soundtrack along with the Forrest Gump ST. Both have some excellent music written during the VietNam Era.

Also, "The End" by the Doors, has always kinda struck me in that sense. It that just becasue I've watched Apocalypse Now one too many times?

14. 'Five To One' by the Doors. The perfect anti-government song!!
    They got the guns, but we've got the numbers!

15. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Don't know if these have been suggested,

Metallica - One

Guns 'n' Roses - Civil War

U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday

Arlo Guthrie - Alices Restaurant

Just for starters - I'm sure I'll come back with more

Krakkers

Edit:

Oh yeah the Levellers - Battle of the Beanfield

16. Vietnow?

17. "Shadow of a Man" by Oysterhead, about a Vietnam vet.

"The Army's on Ecstacy" also by Oysterhead.

"I Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Rag," by Country Joe and the Fish

Probably a bunch more that I can't remember right now.

18. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13

rap?

one - metallica
    die for your government - anti-flag
    kill the poor - dead kennedys
    war pigs - black sabbath
    chemical warfare - dead kennedys
    war ensemble - slayer
    mandatory suicide - slayer