Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gov't Auctions???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Seems too good to be true.

I wouldn't be suprised if most of the cars were abuse packages, and that's why they sell as cheaply as they do.

3. Wow, some of those cars are insanely cheap. Too bad they're probably pretty abused like Mike said.

4. Looks like pyramid scheme to me. A one time only $35 fee? Sounds pretty standard of a scam.

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I'm not trying to shake anyone, but I can do all the guessing by my self.
    I really need someone's experience.. Thanks

6. Schwalli

Schwalli

May 27, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I've bought stuff, never a car though, at my local police auction before. You can get some great deals but, just like at any other auction, you have to know how to look for any sort of potential problems in whatever you're buying. I'd stay away from any of the sites on the internet that want you to pay a fee, from what I've gathered they just tell you when and where the auctions are being held. Just call you local city, county and state police headquarters and they should be able to tell you if and when they hold the auctions.

Good luck with getting your car!

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Excellent perspective by Schwalli. It dovetails with mine. Bring a mechanic, and demand to have the car inspected before purchase. In most states, there are laws that give you that right. Sometimes you can win, there's plenty of excellent vehicles that have been confiscated by the RICO laws and so on, and if you're at the right place at the right time, you can probably get a great car for cheap. I'd advise "caution", and "patience". Those gov't auctions are getting pretty popular these days, and there's plenty of brokers that advertise on the 'net and all that stuff. One thing to consider, is the difference between a "direct" purchase (say, from a local police auction), and an "indirect" purchase (from an internet broker). Another thing to consider, is that you're competing against wholesale-type brokers in the auction bidding, so it's possible that you might still win by paying a few extra bucks for a vehicle that's in decent shape.