Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gov't mule/deep end/rising low

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by watspan, Jan 10, 2003.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I am a huge fan of warren haynes and gov't mule and love the deep ends and rising low. From a bassists perspective these provide much food for thought even if you don't care for the mule. lots of discussions about the nature of bass playing. but also the effect of 25 different bass players inserted into an oterwise constant setting. What i've come away with is how at times the differences in bass players is almost imperceptable--even when you're listening for them. Are we(bassists) that subtle? Is part of it the mix of the recordings? One thing i noticed is that although each bassist plays their own bass, almost all of them seem to be playing through Woody's Ampeg Amp. In summary, I think these recordings prove to be an interesting laboratory of the bass experiment. Your thoughts?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I own the Rising Low DVD and it's enjoyable seeing all the players involved, but I think what it shows most is that Woody was a HUGE part of the Mule's sound and vibe. The guy was just a true God Of Thunder. Even all the legendary players who took part in the Deep End project can't really project what Woody brought to that particular band.

Some of the bassists like Willie Weeks and M'Chele added their own coolness, but it didn't sound like Gov't Mule.

3. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I agree! So does Warren per his lyric in Banks of the deep end: "couldn't hire 25 men to do what the man could do"

There is no way the mule post woody could be the same just as the Who can't be the same post-ox, however I think it's a tremendously intersting experiment to record w/ all these bassists, many of whom woody called influences. I can't think of a similar circumstance in popular music where anything like this has been done and as a bassist i find it interesting to see how different bassists fit into the songs "take a little from the mixture, try to fit into the picture"

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One thing I noticed is that on the DVD many of the bassists tones DO sound very different and unique. But on the Deep End CD (I only have vol.1) they all tend to sound the same. I personally wish they would have mixed the bass in just a TAD more prominent on some of the CD tracks and let the artists' unique tones really come through.

brad cook

5. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    very true--entwistle's same price is a perfect example--you can barely hear him in the cd mix but he's more prominent in the DVD--I can hardly decipher what he says w/ that cockney accent though!:D

6. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    My buddy kept tellin' me you have to get this Cd! I finally went out and bought Vol. 1, and I was competly blown away!
    Allen Woody, what a great bassist! I loved his work on Back Were It All Begins-ABB

7. I shook hands with Allen Woody shortly only a couple of months before he died at the Kansas City Jazz Festival. I was very sad that he had to go. :(