Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gov't Mule Deep End Sessions

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by watspan, Feb 19, 2003.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Mike: I have to confess my first exposure to you was through the Deep End / Rising Low Projects with Gov't Mule. I was very impressed not only with your musicianship but your Empathy as well. (Not to mention Sense of Humor!)

Could you describe what that Recording process was like for you both from a technical perspective as well as from a "Empathy" angle? (Hope you get my drift)

Thanks!

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

well, whatever way you found out about me is fine w/me - glad you found me however!

here's the dictionary definition for 'empathy' (from http://dicitonary.com):

em·pa·thy
    n.

1. Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives. See Synonyms at pity.

2. The attribution of one's own feelings to an object.

from those definitons, yes, I try to have much empathy for the cats I'm recording w/and try to feel out the 'drift' the session is taking. the mission of the bass (in my opinion) is to "aid and abet" as much as possible so I believe one has to be sensitive to the cats you're joining w/in the studio.

first off, I let warren and matt know about me and where I'm coming from musically. then we talked much about creedence and john fogerty, since we were covering one of their/his tunes (talked much about flannel shirts too and the reason I wear them). then we ran through how warren and matt wanted to approach it, me listening carefully on their take of things - the emotionally hills and valleys of the way the were working it. finally, I through in my interpretation of both the original tune and the current feel the mule cats were using to come up w/my contribution on the bass. what you hear on the record is the result. I like the idea of you looking good by help making your compadres look good. I was constantly asking for feedback from both guys too to make sure I was in the same universe w/them. they were righteous folks to collaborate w/and I'm so very glad I got the opportunity.

on bass, watt