Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gov't Mule w/ Oteil Live (what can I expect?)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by alexssandro, Sep 19, 2001.

1. I found out that Oteil Burbridge is coming to Houston with Government Mule. I haven't heard their music before. What can I expect? Is it like a Frogwings kind of thing? I hardly ever get a chance to see Oteil and I wouldn't want to pass this opportunity up. Has anyone ever seen their show before?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Oteil is a killer player, but I can't imagine him with Gov't Mule. If you'd ever seen the Mule with Allen Woody, and also seen Oteil with Aquarium Rescue Unit you'd know what I mean. Two completely different styles. Oteil is funky and jazzy where Woody was real heavy.

It'll be worth the money, though. Warren Haynes is one of the best guitarists and singers out there, and drummer Matt Abts is smokin' too. With 3 players of that caliber, I don't know how you could go wrong.

3. Yeah, I've seen Oteil twice with ARU, and I still haven't picked my jaw off the ground! I saw Oteil on pollstar (concert info page) and I was really excited because I thought he was coming with the Peacemakers. But then I found out it was with Gov't Mule. Whatever the case, I'm still going to have a good time at the show! :)

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The connection?
    Both Oteil & Woody played with The Allman Brothers Band.

Alex-
    ..tell Oteil I said "Hi"(I'm a Squares fan from his daze here in Va. Beach).