Gov't Mule

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Oct 10, 2001.

1. The other day I received an email from ATO records that seems very interesting, so I figured I'd show you this. It's got some great bass players on this, so I'm assuming its worth checking out. If anyone is on the ATO records mailing list, you probably got this too. The link is:

Here's a quote from the site about the cd.

"Gov’t Mule’s first release on ATO Records, The Deep End Volume 1, is the first of a three-part series (Volume 2 & the Mike Gordon directed documentary On The Banks) that features 25 of the world's premiere bass players. Volume 1 features singer /guitarist Warren Haynes and drummer Matt Abts with a different guest bass player on each of the 13 songs, including Bootsy Collins (P-Funk, James Brown), Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers), John Entwistle (The Who), Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band) and Les Claypool (Primus)."
  2. Yep, too bad Allen had to die. That was one of the best live acts I've seen. Of course this album is certainly going to kick arse, as well.

R.I.P. Woody
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I've also heard Oteil is gonna be playin' some dates with Gov't Mule.
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    they rule! it's sad what happen to allen and it's sad that a lot of people here seem to not know him. see my thread in bassist titled Allen Woody...
  5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Add me to the list of those who feel Woody was WAY underrated. He was just only in the Gov't Mule years beginning to come into his best.
  6. BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    Saw Mule last night in Boston. Great show, but I don't know if Oteil is the right bassist for the group. I mean, he was great, but he didn't quite fit in.

Fyi: He played a Modulous 6 string and an Ampeg SVT.
  7. Ben,

I'm planning to see the show in a couple of weeks. How is the show, and more specifically, how does Oteil fit in or not fit in? Does he solo? Does he play the 6-string, or does he play a 4-string with a pick (like I heard he does with the Allman Bros.)?

The last time I saw Oteil was 6 years ago with the ARU. I really would like to see him with the Peacemakers or in a jazzy/funky setting. However, if he comes through town, I'd go see him regardless of who he plays with (as long as it's not with N-Sync;)).

Edit: I see that he plays his Modulus 6. Shame on me, I should read the entire post before I respond!;)
  8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I'd be willing to bet that O plays fingerstyle with the Mule. He was only playing with a pick in the ABB because he was trying to cop Berry Oakley's tone and style as closely as possible.
  9. BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area

OB did played fingerstyle with Mule.

He had a brief solo spot, playing a solo chord/melody piece then kicking into a wicked played/sung solo when the band cranked up. During nearly every song he threw in lots of little solo runs as well.

I also loved Oteil's playing with ARU, but to my ears he's got too much of the funk/jazz thing going to really rock the way Mule needs him to. But wait 'til you see the show, and let us know what you think...

Overall I loved the show! No opening act, three hours of Mule with a short break at around the 1.5 hour mark. Lots of old material in the first half of the show and several new tunes in the second half. A couple of killer cover tunes (I won't spoil the surprise.)