Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gr... another WindowsXP help thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ARA punk, Sep 30, 2003.

1. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    My sister is grounded off the computer for reasons i wont go into on here. But we need to find a way to where it asks for a password when the computer boots up (I'm not talking about the user screen, because they dont want to delete her user for homework purposes. I also want to be able to have a password protection for getting it off stand-by. The only way i see to do this is by doing it on the user level. If anyone can help i'd appreciate it.

2. Keep her account and change her password, then only allow your parent's to type in her password for when she needs to get on. In order for this to work though, make sure she isn't set as an administrator or she can change her password back ;)

3. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Sorry, could you clarify what you want to do a bit? Do you want to prevent your sister from accessing her account at all? Do you want to prevent her even booting the machine? Or do you just want to restrict her from accessing certain resources on the system? It sounds like Tyler might be right (if I understand your question correctly): it might be easiest to reset her password to something she doesn't know but you (or your parents) do.

4. From what I gathered they want to keep her from accessing even the login screen...but I don't think you can do that, and my way seems like the only way you can do it with XP...or any OS at that matter.

5. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    The only way you could prevent her even reaching the login screen would be to enable the BIOS password but that's goign to effect everybody and is generally not such a good idea anyway.

6. Messing with the BIOS can get sticky anyways...I should know from experience :p

7. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    <BR><BR>Yeah, we've all been there :D. removable CMOS chips are you friend. ;)

8. Dells that have the BIOS set already is your friend :D:D LoL

9. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Are you saying your not l33t enough to manage your CAS latencies? Jeez! ;)

10. naw, just that I'm too poor :p Family comp I'm on right now ;) Parents bought it. But I am one uber 1337 f00l y0

OMG ***?!?!?!! LOL