1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(GR55) Synth ready Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by acedabone, Nov 4, 2013.

1. acedabone

acedabone

Nov 11, 2010
    I have recently been watching many different videos about the GR55 and have the itch to get one. And as hard as I could, I searched for a specific thread addressing the question I have.....

What Bass Manufacturers/Luthiers offer a bass in their collection that is Synth ready or offers an option of installing a Synth pickup for use with the GR55 or one of the other synth systems available for use with the Bass Guitar.

I know of a couple that do, but I'm also looking for as many Manufacturers/Luthiers as I can so I can have many choices in purchasing a Bass that has this option. Again, I have looked and found many threads regarding the use of a Guitar/Bass Synth, different patches, and even installing a pickup on my own. So, if this has come up before, I apologize.

Thank you for your help!

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I don't think there are any at least from the main bass manufactures. I wish Fender and Roland would team up like they did with their Strat G5, G5A and GC-1 and offer a Precision or Jazz bass in both a 4 and 5 string with the midi pickup built in and compatible with a GR-55.

I would love to have one myself.

TD

3. acedabone

acedabone

Nov 11, 2010
    Me, as well, TD! Me as well! :thumbup:

4. 70sJazz

70sJazz Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Parker Guitars will make a custom MaxxFly bass with piezos & 13 pin jack. I would consider them a major manufacturer.

5. Brian Bromberg

Brian Bromberg

Sep 16, 2005
    Carvin does it, or did it? Worth a phone call..........

6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Godin A-series basses.

7. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Bass royalty! Good evening Brian, so cool knowing you are around. Love your work! Sorry for the interruption. :bag:

8. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    If you've never worked with bass synth interfaces, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. The Roland GR and GI interfaces' tracking delays are proportional to the wavelength of the note fundamentals. This creates a perceptable lag between the attack of bass notes in the lower register and the attack of the synth. Options for dealing with this include:
    1. Play bass synth notes with no bass guitar in the mix. You can learn to play a little ahead of the beat (for this, it helps if you've played a wind instrument).
    2. Use synth patches with slow attacks, so the lag isn't noticeable.
    3. Play the bass/controller parts a couple of octaves up on the neck, and use the synth controlls to transpose down. This way you don't have as much acquisition delay to compensate for.

9. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Apart from the GR-55's two independant PCM synths (910 tones each), it also does HRM modeling with absolutely no lag or delay.
    Giving modeled guitars, different model Basses, and some analog type modeled synths to mix in with the PCM synths and normal bass tone.

10. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
  11. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Nice for midi (actually the best),
    but it is not Roland "GK" compatable for use with the GR-55 or VB-99 for HRM modeling of other instruments (non-midi polyphonic).