1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Grabber jibber jabber

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Hey TB,

One of my "she will be mine, oh yes, she will be mine" basses is a Gibson Grabber.

Though CRAYZILY over priced, there ARE the reissues to think about.

What are the big differences (other than price) between the originals and the reissues? Tone? Weight? Quality? Build? Has anyone even been able to try out the reissues?

2. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    look for a good used Grabber.. you should be able to find one for less than 700.00 in really good condition..

the reissue is a set neck, uses a different pickup and is stylized slightly different.. it's not the same thing as the original Grabbers.. which is most likely a good thing..

the originals had many manufacturing flaws which are well documented.. neck joint, bridge, etc..

i think you'd be better off looking for a used one, than spending 1800+ on a new reissue that isn't the same..

if you want one with some flexibility, look for a G3..

good luck..

3. TheRatt

TheRatt

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'd go with the reissue. It fixes a lot of the problems the original had like ^^^that guy said.

4. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    the reissue is fine.. but for less, you *could* find a really nice original.. or find a beater and fix it for much less than the reissue..

5. tbickle2

tbickle2

Mar 26, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I've had my '75 Grabber for going on 10 years now & other than the saddle height screws eating holes in my finger from using it as a hand rest, ive had no problems with the bridge or the neck. Best $200 ive ever spent.

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Yeah my only complaint with my G3 was the sharp saddle screws. There's a guy on ebay selling repro bridge covers which fit fairly well and stopped the bridge from cutting my hand.

As far as original vs reissue - definitely original. The pickup in the reissue is a TB humbucker, it's a set neck instead of a bolt on, has a three-point bridge instead of a fenderesque bridge, and is mahogany instead of maple/alder. Plus the price is just ridiculous.

7. Back in the day my bassist had an original Grabber.
    I liked the tone better than my '62 Precision, and the neck felt better, too.
    Other than that it wasn't all that great.
    Heavy, big, ugly.

8. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    most people complain of how crappy the bridge is.. rust, etc..

9. DLEE

DLEE

May 24, 2006
    Mableton ,Ga.
    Yea,blood has a tendency to do that.I too remember the bloodletting on mine in the 70's.

10. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    that's why the 78 Grabber i have has a Schaller roller bridge on it.. ;)

11. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario

I agree.

[/thread]

12. tbickle2

tbickle2

Mar 26, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I've thought about replacing the bridge on my Grabber, but don't know if there are any direct replacements.

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i loved my grabber but after 30 years of wear and tear i traded it in for a mountain bike

while we are on the subject didn't epiphone make a grabber? if so when?

14. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I had a G-3 for a few years, in the late 70's. I wish I still had it; but I wish I had all the basses I've ever owned. :bassist: