Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grabber/Ripper: If you could...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Microbass, Oct 27, 2003.

If you saw a Grabber/Ripper would you...

Poll closed Nov 10, 2003.
  1. Pick up and play mon!

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Probably buy it!

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. not even take a second look at it!

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  4. Play it with no interest of buying...

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. do you guys think if Gibson brought back the Grabber and Ripper models they could probably make some real money?

after all, as well as the T-birds these were the *best* basses Gibson made!

hi-end basses at mid-prices...

what do you think? :)

2. i dont mean to flame you or anything, and i'm not specifically talking about the parent poster, but it sort of annoys me when people use pubject titles that dont really reflect the actual subject. Blah

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Gibson never built a decent bass IMO(!!!!!)

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    One of my pet peeves, too... fixed.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I feel the same... yet I seem to gas for an EB-3 :ninja:

6. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    I'd pick up a Ripper, if nothing else, for that cool out of phase tone they had (Ripper usere- #4 on the chicken head knob). I have never heard that tone anywhere else.

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I had to play a Ripper throughout High School (79-83).
    I thought it looked (and played) like a boat oar.:spit:

A friend had a fretless one (in Sunburst no-less) that was actualy quite decent.

Peavey's T-40 bass had a switch for putting the pickups out-of-phase. Sounded almost identical to the old Ripper (only better:D ).

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    If you dig it ,Play it.
    Gibson's best bass.
    Les Paul Signature.

9. Only Gibson bass i like is the Victory bass. But mostly i like it for its cosmetics. I never heard one i think, nor have i ever played one.

10. Rippers actually had a couple of very nice tones.
    They sounded great live. I also heard a Grabber live, and it sounded pretty good to me. I also owned a G-3 for about two years. It had 3 single coils which were wired to give you: neck + middle, bridge + middle, or all 3 pups. :eek:

Calm down! :D

I sold it to buy an Ovation Magnum, which I sold about a year after that. I regret selling both of them, but what can you do? That's life.

My biggest regret in life (bass wise) was not buying an all black Gibson RD Artist. It was hanging in the Sam Ash Hempstead store for about a year. I played it 3 times, then it was gone.

It had Moog expansion & compression circuitry in it; what a tone it had! I liked the neck too.

I liked most of the Gibsons I've played.

To each his own.

Mike ;)

11. I luv my G-3. FYI Epiphone/Gibson did recently reprise the style bass but they screwed it all up. They labelled it a Ripper but it had a bolt on neck like the G basses and had a tubby sounding fixed position pickup. :spit:

12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Well said!

Dan :bassist:

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Friend of mine has a Ripper...shame he doesn't know anything about truss rods...the things tied in knots, not to mention his uncle converted it to a fretless with a belt sander :(...I don't know if there's any hope left for that bass. But I love it anyway...

14. The Leas Paul Recorder bass was the best Gibson made IMHO, but I sold mine because I never use it any more!

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. I fav is the EB-O!

I love the mud!

16. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My '76 T-bird is a damn fine bass. I never make sweeping generalizations like this, because they are almost always wrong.

17. HOW CRUEL! :bawl:

Mike :D

18. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You without a doubt correct. Those of use who made those statements should amend our statements to state we never found a Gibson bass that we liked.

Generalizations often lead to large miscommunications and injustices. In my case, I have always found Gibsons to be too heavy and not suited to my playing style. Which is a more accurate statement.

As I think about this, I often hate it when people bash Fender so this is why I am retracting my statement, but not deleting it.

Dan

19. I'm just gonna say that I own a Gibson Victory Standard fretless, and It sounds very cool. I guess it's kind of like a P bass, but with an even warmer sound. It's so warm sounding that I usually just leave the tone all the way up. It definately doesn't give you that classic fretless growl, but If you're into playing rock on a fretless, it rules.

I'd also like to add that I think gibeson makes great souning basses. In general. I've tried the Ripper, Les Paul, and Thunderbird, and they all sound great. (The EB-3 is a little wimpy, because of the short scale but it also has the potential to sound really good). It's too bad there aren't a whole lot of Gibson basses being made anymore.

20. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    I have one, its great cause I play in a rock band and a hardcore band and its great for both styles.
    This is what it looks like (not my pic)