Grace Design Alix or Bix

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by hgrind, Sep 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hgrind

hgrind

Dec 16, 2005
    Otta, Norway
    I'm getting a new preamp for my double bass with the Realist Wood pickup. From what I have read, the Grace Design products seems to be some of the best sounding preamps out there. Most of my gigs is with a soundman who wants a clean signal. The only thing that bugs me is that none of them have a pre/post eq, but I think I can live with that. Nowadays I don't use an amp, only wedges or in-ear. I'm doubling more now and have space on my Nano+ pedalboard for the Bix, and I like to have as little knobs to deal with as possible. But there will be times I use just the double bass, and I like that I can power a tuner with it also. Plus I'd like to have a HPF available. I can also get a 20 % discount on the Alix right now. What do you recommend? I guess the sound is the same, and with a soundman I can run both flat.

2. neddyrow

neddyrow @SimmerinStew - Instagram Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    talk to josh broughton at @azureskies? i got exactly what i wanted and none of what i didnt. which is pretty much what you are describing...and it was only about $250!
    rig pic.JPG

3. hgrind

hgrind

Dec 16, 2005
    Otta, Norway
    Thank you for your suggestion. I was looking at something I could get my hands on here in Norway, so I'll look at that first. I have considered the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ, which has a HPF and pre/post eq, but my understanding is that the Grace Design preamps are more transparent.