1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Grace Design Alix or Bix

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by hgrind, Sep 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hgrind

hgrind

Dec 16, 2005
    Otta, Norway
    I'm getting a new preamp for my double bass with the Realist Wood pickup. From what I have read, the Grace Design products seems to be some of the best sounding preamps out there. Most of my gigs is with a soundman who wants a clean signal. The only thing that bugs me is that none of them have a pre/post eq, but I think I can live with that. Nowadays I don't use an amp, only wedges or in-ear. I'm doubling more now and have space on my Nano+ pedalboard for the Bix, and I like to have as little knobs to deal with as possible. But there will be times I use just the double bass, and I like that I can power a tuner with it also. Plus I'd like to have a HPF available. I can also get a 20 % discount on the Alix right now. What do you recommend? I guess the sound is the same, and with a soundman I can run both flat.

2. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    talk to josh broughton at @azureskies? i got exactly what i wanted and none of what i didnt. which is pretty much what you are describing...and it was only about $250!
    rig pic.JPG

3. hgrind

hgrind

Dec 16, 2005
    Otta, Norway
    Thank you for your suggestion. I was looking at something I could get my hands on here in Norway, so I'll look at that first. I have considered the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ, which has a HPF and pre/post eq, but my understanding is that the Grace Design preamps are more transparent.