1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Grace design Felix + Jule m700 : speaker cab advice and suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Basstimg, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Hi all

I am in the process of getting a new set up and with the help of some experienced TBers I have finally decided on the Felix and m700. I am now trying to find a nice cab that would pair well with the m700 to get the most out of the set up in terms of sound quality, projection and cutting through :)

Any advice ?

2. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    More information, is this for use in a jazz quartet, big band, rock group; coffee houses, bars, large clubs, outside?

Only a couple guys here on the DB side are using a Felix or M700, only one or two have that exact combination. I have an M700 paired with Monique and an Ampeg 210AV, works for me, not sure if it would work for you.

3. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    that's some pretty hi-fi gear.

i have an EA 2x10 that i'd try first but, depending on the type of music and places you play, you may want to go with a cab that has more articulation. cabs like the crazy 8 or 88 or cabs combining 4, 5 or 6 inch speakers might give you the sound you are looking for.

are you using a mic or pick-up?

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    For me, the Grace Felix Preamp is the heart of a really great sound for Double Bass. If you can afford the M700, then it's great, but there are certianly other options. For example, you could purchase
    any decent integrated amp for quite a bit less money, and run the Grace Felix into the effects return. So, you don't of necessity, have to limit yourself to the M700 as a power amp. As far as cabinets
    Euphonic Audio, MAS, and Audiokinesis all make great DB cabinets.

Ric

P.S. you can also get a very respectable sound from the Headway EDB-2. Since you live
    in GB, getting one serviced should be very easy.

5. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Sorry I am using an ehrlund preamp but do plan to get a nice mic and blend in the near future. I do a lot of small duo trio gigs etc (jazz) but just joined a quartet which does much more contemporary jazz sometimes with a rock edge and very loud drummer. With this band will be a lot louder venues clubs, loud pubs sometimes. Also planning to do a more straight ahead function band with same line up for corporate work (a lot of the venues in south west I'm don't have PA support) I like the vibe of the new projects but I struggle to cut through and project with my current set up (GK mbe and extension) so before I purchase the Felix and m700 I want to ensure I have a cab that will pair well to meet my needs.

I have kinda got my mind set on the Felix thanks to ric ha ha I wasn't sure what the monique would be like for upright not much info around. Looks nice visually but I would Imagine the Felix would suit my needs more

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  6. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Hi thanks for the response I have given more info about my needs I a reply to the last post. I don't know much about the crazy 8 /88 but u would imagine I would need the 88 to run at 4ohm (essential I think for the m700) would these cabs have enough power to Handle the m700 I wouldn't want to blow them ? And bottom end ? I just read that the 88 season 400 watts into 4ohm and the amp it 700watts ?

7. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Hi Ric

I have you to thank for the very expensive purchase I am about to make ha ha I understand what your saying but I may have passed the point of no return so I sense the m700 will be on its way soon ! I reckon it's a good investment and should get many years out of it and tbh should be the end of searching etc a set up that can last :)

Thanks for the advice on manufacturers to look out for :) I was contemplating a green boy f210 but the finish does concern me a little. I think sound wise they sound great if you believe forums !!!!!

8. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    If you're in UK check out Barefaced

9. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    A MAS 46 or 45 should suit your needs nicely.

Eric Hochberg likes this.
  10. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    I had looked into them and heard some good things but spoke to a guy who sells high end stuff and he really didn't like the sound he even went so far as to say that he couldn't work out why there were such good reviews o. The forums. Have you tried them ?

11. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    On mikes site it says the 46 is for electric bass. Have you used it for upright ? It also says the 45 is 400 watts at 8ohms. I'm no expert on Amps eco hence coming in here to get some info and guidance / advice but this is something I am trying to resolve this year as my amplified sound is effecting not only my sound but also my enjoyment o a lot of gigs lately (well the louder ones)

Anyway back to my point, the as the 45 is 8ohms I would need 2 wouldn't I ? As the m700 runs at 4ohms

12. Nathan Levine

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    I've only used the 5" cabinets and I think they are marvelous. A few people have the 46s and are using them for double bass.

13. Nathan Levine

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    For some reason, the words "very loud drummer" make me think you might look into the 46. The 45 will probably hold its own with no problems, but still, very loud drummers are very loud. :)

14. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Sounds to me like two smaller 8ohm cabs would be perfect. 1 for the duo stuff and two for the contemporary group. There are so many options to choose from, everyone has their favorites. You may consider hitting classifieds that way if you don't find what you want on the first try you can flip them.

15. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Sorry if I come across as sounding silly but j believe the m700 runs at 4ohm not found anything on the spec to suggest it runs at 8ohm. So I wouldn't be able to run a single 8ohm cab at 4ohm would I ?

16. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Yes you can run anything over 4 ohms with the M700. 8 ohms is no problem. 4 is the recommended minimum.

17. If it's a solid state amp, running it with twice of the minimal output impedance on the cab usually delivers about half of the wattage of the amp.
    Connecting two cabs with the same impedance in parallel results in half the individual cab impedance for the amp. In your case two 8 Ohms cabs in parallel result in a 4 Ohms total cab impedance that fits the output impedance of your 4 Ohms amp.

But never use a lower total cab impedance that the minimum output impedance of your amp. That can kill the amp. Using a higher cab impedance is no problem when using a solid state amp, you only loose some of the wattage of the amp.

Valve amps may be different. I don't have experience with them.

Basstimg likes this.
  18. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    No I have not tried Barefaced. I only mention since they appear to share the top echelon of speakers (according to talkbass ;)
    Devils advocate: since they only sell direct, expect most pro audio dealers to be not enthused

Groove Doctor likes this.
  19. Basstimg

Basstimg

Dec 3, 2013
    Cornwall
    Well I hear what your saying but they weren't trying to sell me speakers they suggested another place I was discussing Amps mainly

20. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    BTW
    The 88 would not be a good choice for loud db. I was involved in the design and have played through 88's a lot. The 88 and 45 go about the same volume. The 45 goes lower. the 46 goes a lot lower. The 45 is a great choice for db but goes half the volume of the 46 and is 8 ohms. The 46 is available in 4 or 8.

Basstimg likes this.