1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Grade School Kids work out with the Cleveland Orchestra

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by spleen, Jan 27, 2012.

1. I had a proud Papa moment the other day. My middle one's school orchestra got to workshop with a crew from the Cleveland Orchestra who were in town to play a concert at the Kravis Center (West Palm Beach, FL). Our 3 advanced bassists (including my kid) got to work with Thomas Sperl while the other strings worked out with a Cleveland member on their specific instrument. Later they all got together and ran thru Eine Kleine Nacktmusik and Brandenburg #3. What a great group of musicians. Aside from being excellent musicians each of them really knew how to talk to kids and give great instruction. HEre's a little clip of Brian Thompson conducting the kids:

Brian Thompson Conducts The Palm Beach Public Strings Orchestra 2 - YouTube

And Here's Tom Sperl and his American made bass, circa 1800, with a staved top. According to him it was made in New Hampshire by a guy who made pickle barrels.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-DRrmMTC02ETW1PqfnxykybWU22a9UFJQIqF0yvuzbo?feat=directlink