Graduation gift idea

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by noeinstein, May 25, 2012.

1. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Since you are my most populous group of friends, I'm asking your advice.

I have a grandson graduating from high school in June and determined to join the Navy. He scored very high on the ASVAB and, try as I might, I cannot convince him to get some college under his belt first.

So, I want to get him some kind of graduation gift that he will find meaningful. Any suggestions?

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    What's your budget like for this?

3. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Directions to the nearest college, even if he does it while in the service part time.

4. or better yet... (on the college thing);

offer to help pay for college. if YOU pay for some and Navy pays for some, I bet he can get it almost free.

or, if he is not ready now, let him build up Navy bucks in the "Bank" and you contribute so much per month to a savings plan, and he can spend it (on COLLEGE...:D) whenever he likes.

davesignatureII-1.png

5. Can he not sign up with the navy and get an education/trade though them?

Or can he be put through college/university by them and go into service afterwards?

As for graduation presents, I got a fairly nice dress watch which was certainly a nice one :)

6. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    A Village People "In the Navy" video?

7. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    On a serious note, if you are going on a small budget, what about a nice, high quality multitool like a Leatherman?

8. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    +1 -can never go wrong with a leatherman.

9. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you.

Your additional college ideas are good. We have set aside some money for his college for several years and will continue to do that, hoping he'll use it one day. And we did offer to pay for at least his first two years of college (our hole card, which failed to persuade... hey, who wouldn't want to live with their grandparents while going to college?)

While my budget could tolerate a couple hundred, a Leatherman is a great idea. I esp like the Skeletool CX Multitool. I'm open to other ideas. Thanks again, sincerely.

10. One thing I will say, is don't push the college thing too much.

It isn't for everyone, you have to have a strong desire to learn a subject and be part of that subject for college to do you any good (either that or have a subject which has broad potential). Especially these days, where everyone and their dog has a degree, it is sometimes worth looking at other avenues.Trades are certainly one that could be useful to get into, and I'm sure most of them would be of use in the forces.

11. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Good advice, my friend, I have to tell myself some version of this often.

Reminds me of the joke about the brain surgeon whose toilet clogged up during a big Saturday night party. When the plumber charged a whopping amount for the 10 minutes it took him to fix it, the surgeon complained that he was a brain surgeon and didn't make that much. The plumber said, "I know, I didn't make this much when I was a brain surgeon either."

12. Haha, well put, and I know a plumber who works down in London, certainly makes a pretty penny!

I was just saying because I know the pressures younger folk are put under, and that they are pressured into feeling they 'have' to go to University to be worthwhile. I guess I was just lucky, my parents were always very supportive, and as long as my brother or I were moving forward and happy with what we did, that is all that mattered. They didn't (often) press things one way or another.

As a result, we ended up down pretty different paths! I followed the academic route, going into the science, got under a year left til I'm meant to finish up my PhD and my little bro took the opposite approach, learned something useful and is a mechanic/restorer who works solely on classic motors. :bassist:

Basically, your grandson is a young man (graduate high school at 18 yeah?). He'll be wanting to do things his own way and as long as it's productive and he is aware of the other options, it's sometimes best to let them out and do what they want. Nothing saying you need to go to college right out of school. Sometimes conventions need to be defied!

13. be patient...while in the navy, he can learn whatever interests him. i am sure that will be useful.

then, when he gets out, he will be older, wiser etc.

then he can take advantage of the college fund that the Navy and you have saved up for him. ...:D

davesignatureII-1.png

14. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    You can PM me if you/he wants current relevent info about the Navy, college programs, GI bill...etc.

15. I would say the leatherman is a good idea, or a high quality swiss army knife
    I'm four years out of highschool and still grateful to my grandparents for the laptop I'm using now. IDK much about the navy, but if he ever decides to go to college its a must have (for most).
    Although, us kids always love cash ;)
    Kidding, but honestly my family often gives cash or lets us pick our own presents now that the youngest is 17, and it can be impersonal, or it can be really perfect...for us its perfect

16. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    PM'd

17. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Thank you. I know you are right about cash, and a laptop is a great idea, too. I just wanted to find something he would use and keep, and that would remind him of how much we love him a year, or 10 years, from now.

18. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
  19. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    I'm sure you're right, Dave. He's a very smart guy, and is certainly more mature than I was at 18. You have sort of outlined his argument/plan. Thanks.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021