Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Graffiti Finish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassJunkie730, Jan 18, 2006.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    So maybe I'm nuts but I have it in my mind to eaither contract or do a custom paint job on a old warwick standard (three piece ash body) coming my way.

This picture at GMWguitars inspired me http://www.gmwguitars.com/graphics/g44.jpg

But I also like the idea of hot rod flames (moving from white to yellow to orange to red) over black. Unfortunately I can't find anyone wiling to do the job for under $400

I'm not opposed to getting reranch white primer and then doing some home made graffiti over the top - any suggestions for a cheap hobbyits air gun setup?

Or any one out there who wants to go to town on a bass body.

~M

2. can I comment on how disgustingly AWEFUL that looks!

Why don't you just use CRAYONS????

3. Okay, you get some decent paint guns at Advance Auto, or Discount Auto, hell Wally World might even carry a few... But that's not what you'll need for a graffitti job, or even hot rod flames. You'll need an airbrush, and the skill to operate one. I don't know how much they go for, never shopped for one, but I'm sure there are cheap ones out there somewhere, you just gotta look in the right places.

FWIW, I love graffitti art, and I think that looks badass.

-ryan-

4. maybe you could go out on the street and find the real thing?
    and a warwick? really? :)
    I'm just giving you crap...personally, i'd do it on an SX or something inexpensive in case something happens, but that comes from a poor guy...me :)

5. man dont listen to that! i love it! (im guessing your into punk and whatnot) Im a student at art college in Belfast but if i where closer to NYC id be glad to paint that up. Get a cheap hobbyists airgun with variable nozzle width and D.I.Y Baby! (its more in the spirit of it anyway)
    I do agree with the above post though a cheaper -and flatter- guitar body would be a good practise piece and relieve some of the pressure of getting it right first time.:bassist:

6. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    First guys,

I love personalized art and i think Graffiti is wicked! Especially since you can sneak some personal themes into an overal piece of art (art is subjective so I'm not going to get into what looks good or not with anyone.) and with a good artist (I'm going to outsource this) I'm sure the result will look amazing.

Second, it's a three piece ash body! I want to cover that up! I scored a used warwick with some wear and tear. I'm a wood nut so for me to have an instrument with a transparent finish - the body underneath should at least be a two piece centerjoined matched specimen. I think the idea of a solid finished warwick is really cool.

Plus I'm also looking into the hotrod flames as that's another graphic fetish of mine.

But who knows right? Thanks for the feedback. and "ill be sure to post pics when the bass is finished.

MMmmmmm. nothing like a hard played, nicely worn in, 10 year old all wenge warwick neck to get ya goin' THAT's why I bought the bass.

Ooga booga

~M