Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Graham central station video???Where to buy??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by frodebass, Sep 6, 2004.

1. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    Hi all!

I have seen on the net that there is a video recording of the Graham central station from 1992 in Japan on the market somewere.

However, I cannot locate a dealer anywere that have it in stock.

Anyone know where I can buy it?

Anyone got it? Care to comment?

Any other live videos with the GCS`???

Thanks,

Frode

2. check amazon.com, i know i saw it there a while ago.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    1992? Personally, I would prefer something from their heyday(i.e. the '70s).
    Same with EW&F...worst DVD I have ever bought was their concert from the '80s.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

I wouldn't want to see them in '92 either. The 70's was when they were at their peak. I saw them in 1974-75 and it was a mind-blowing experience.

And Betty Davis opened for them. Sick show.

:D

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm very happy to have finally found 2 of Betty(Miles)Davis' early albums...sorta like Sly meets Janis.

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I WOULD WANT TO SEE THEM WHATEVER YEAR.

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Yeah, I can just imagine Larry tearing into "One In A Million".

:eyebrow:

My point was that pre-1980's GCS was far different from the slicker versions that came later. Like the difference between hearing an up and coming Funk monster and Muzak.

I'm guessing you never saw the earlier GCS.

BTW nice handle... I used to play that song back in the 70's. That's another group I'd love to see any early video of (with Omar, Fudgie, Neftali, etc.).

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I agree with what you're saying, Brad, 70's GCS is definitely WAY better. However, I gotta say, any time I've seen Larry Graham, in interviews on videos, whatever, he's never failed to entertain! He's just one damn entertaining guy.

brad cook

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Now that I think of it... ;)

HBO used to show Sinbad's Summer Funk Fest(or whatever)...one show did feature Larry Graham/GCS, though maybe it was The Family Stone featuring Larry Graham...whatever, it was "OK", not great & certainly not as it was back in the '70s. FWIW. ;)

10. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    LOL yeah one in a million does leave me speechless :D

You're officially cool since you've played Mandrill. ;) They're supposed to be coming out with a DVD real soon.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A Mandrill DVD?!
    I hope it's Mandrill, circa the '70s. ;)

Some band I was in once used Pic Conley's studio...he was in a late version of Mandrill. He heard our 'tunes' & said we must be "a bunch of angry mutherf'ers".

12. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    well, I happen to love one in a million. I musta played it a thousand times this summer at every wedding I played. It's my favorite song ever. and it's funky. much funkier then any graham central station album or song. the DVD in question is pretty good I think they had it in the berklee library. It's not the heyday, but at this point in time I take all the larry graham exposure I can get

13. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    That's cool you got to meet him. What did he hear to make him say that?

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Whatever floats your boat:D

I never thought I'd see "One in a Million" and "funky" in the same sentence. It's a frickin' ballad and about as unfunky a ballad as he's ever done;). "People" was funky... "OIAM"? Nah.

And I play it at weddings too. It's not a bad song, I actually like it but in the whole scheme of things it's in the same vein of any of the other any-wedding-appropriate ballads.

I have no doubt that my feelings differ from some here because I was around at the actual time all of the early stuff was happening. I watched Graham go from an absolute beast live to a more homogenized, more schmatlzy performer. The Larry Graham of "OIAM" was a crooner.

:hyper:

15. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    well....that whole post was hand dipped in sarcasm too. I would rather hear "it's alright" most nights. I do like one in a million but, there is a place and time for anything. i saw larry with prince a couple times. it was so good :)

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I've read stranger things from people who were dead serious.

I've seen Graham with Prince too. Compared to seeing him live around 1975 leading his own band, playing his own songs when they were new...

no contest. Not even close.

It's practically impossible for most younger folks to even imagine what it's like to go from nobody doing what Graham was doing to seeing him do it live, while holding down the lead vocals no less. For you, that bass style has always been around. Back then most people would've bet the farm that his bass tracks had to be overdubs. That's how far from the norm they were.

17. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    well....you'll be dead soon too......

so life is a give and take

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Man that early GCS just OOZED funk. So incredibly funky. As far as ballads go, maybe it's just me but it seems like his early ballads would always go for about a minute of ballad and then turn into an all-out funkfest from there. One I'm thinking specifically of is Tis Your Kind of Music from Release Yourself.

Have you guys ever heard of the band Dag? They're a very derivative soul/funk/pop band that was around in the 90's. Anyway, they often remind me of early GCS except without the really flashy bass playing. They just hit that groove and have the funk, especially on their CD Apt #635.

brad cook

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Exactly. I got to see him play that live too.

I'm guessing some are having difficulty with the simple concept that catching an artist BEFORE fame and fortune has taken it's toll might be desirable

Like would you rather see James Brown with Bootsy and Phelps back in the day or doing "Living in America" in a Rocky movie?

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Ah... the ignorance of youth. So, when are you scheduled?