Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grammar check: why is it so bad

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Dec 15, 2002.

1. I don't get it. Even with the newer versions of Word, the grammar check is terrible. It never picks up my bad sentences, yet often tells me my good sentences are wrong, and offers suggestions that will make my sentence actually wrong.

They have developted a really good spell check and speech recognition. It automatically corrects most typos, but the grammar check is horrible. I don't get it. Why do they keep it? The only good it does is tell you when you put in an extra space between words. You would think after all these years, they would have been able to improve it.

2. why do you need it? it seems like you know when it's wrong.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't like it. I know when I use sentence fragments, and I frankly don't care. I use fragments either sparingly or regularly, depending on the story's style, tone, diction, ect., and I don't need to be alerted to something I'm aware of. It's not like I don't know better; I'm completely capable of writing in full, proper English, but sometimes a story needs something else.

The only thing that bugs me about word is that it only learns a word for one session, and then only one form of it. I write a lot of fiction, and the characters usually have different names. For instance, one character in a story is named Dengo. Word does not recognize Dengo, so it underlines it. I click "ignore all" or "custom dictionary." Fine and dandy til I use "Dengo's" which it won't recognize. Then I save that word too.

But the next time I fire up Word, ZERO memory of the past session. It's a hassle.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Perhaps just because a semantics check is so much more difficult than a spell check. A good attempt brings you into the fields of AI and fuzzy logic.

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I don't use the grammar check. It confuses me.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yesterday i spent most of my time typing up grammar rules my fellow newspaper staff members should get acquainted with. (oh, the irony...)

anyway, i wrote up five or so examples of the passive voice. microsoft's grammar check only picked up on one sentence. :D

but i'd be more concerned if 'word starts telling me my grammar or diction is improper, first by addressing me as "dave."

7. Do you honestly expect a quality product from Microsoft ????? :eek:

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If people took the time to learn proper grammar, they wouldn't have to take the easy way out and pawn off the guilt of their own ineptitude on others.

Want good grammar? Study.:rolleyes:

Mind you, I'm not aiming the statement at anyone in particular. Just stating my feelings on the matter.

9. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    don't forget that most people write using a mixture of colloquialisms and slang. What most people speak and read is hardly text book grammar. Such is the evolution of the english language.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that's a broad and sweeping generalization.

i haven't found any sort of grammatical error in newsweek yet; in fact, i even learn about some fairly obscure grammar usages in it. (one such example concerns paranthetical comments that are whole sentences unto themselves.)

;)

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

...for proof-reading and US TB'ers will help you with grammar.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You had to learn that? Jeez, I just took it in stride; is that a grammatical oddity I wasn't aware of?