1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Grammar Nazi support group?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by basscooker, Feb 24, 2020.

1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I have a problem. Lately my girlfriend, co-workers and even my daughter have expressed their concerns. I am annoying. I can usually stop it before I say something; but not always. I take too long to spit out a point. Sometimes I even lose my point during my excessive word usage. I correct grammar, punctuation, verb tense, vocabulary... everything.

I never attended post-secondary education, yet often find myself in my thoughts like an English teacher on a vendetta.

My semi-colon use is excessive. I use too many commas. Sometimes my sentences run a whole paragraph. How can I be such a language curmudgeon when I myself commit similarly heinous offenses?

Just today I've posted a couple times and noticed I'm too verbose.

I need your help, TBOT. I'm killing people with my bad habit. Don't be gentle. Tough love, please!

Thank you in advance.

murphy, Jeff Scott and catcauphonic like this.
  2. Heartless, vicious scum!

3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I've learned to bite my tongue when friends commit grammar crimes for the most part. But my family feels the same pain as yours. My mother was an English major in college; I blame that.

murphy and basscooker like this.
  4. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps

There is no subject or verb. That is not a sentence.

Aaaaaah! See what I mean!?

Alik, Jeff K, murphy and 7 others like this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's an exclamatory sentence. Like "Yay!" It don't need no highfalutin subject or verb.

Jeff K, Gaolee, J-Bassomatic and 2 others like this.
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I struggle with this sometimes, too. Especially with topics that are near and dear to me, like music theory and star wars.

Is there one person in your life, a friend or family member, that you can set aside regular time to "get it all out of your system"? For example, I have a friend who thinks I am obsessed with amps and pedals, and I think she is obsessed with cats! Once a month we sit down for coffee, I talk her ear off about bass stuff, and she shows me the latest cat videos.

This exercise helps me be mindful, of not overwhelming my other friends and family with conversations about amps and pedals.

In your case, maybe it would be a fun exercise to sit down with your daughter, look at some web pages, and have a good laugh pointing out all the grammar mistakes together. Like the classic "Alot" web comic for example. Then maybe you wouldn't do this so much in your everyday life, because you have an outlet for that energy.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    instrumentalist and basscooker like this.
  7. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    What's right is right.
    You are to be applauded for making the stand.

JMarkD, Jeff Scott, Winslow and 3 others like this.
  8. Actually, there is an implied subject and verb. (You are) heartless, vicious scum. According to my English teachers, (this is) a perfectly acceptable construction.

You're welcome.

9. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Thank you! See, I'm incorrect! I have no right to criticize.

Gaolee likes this.
  10. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I wanna hang out with both of you :)

I know I typed (and say) wanna, but I blame that on the northeastern Pennsylvania coalcracker colloquialisms that I grew up with... If spoken I would've said 'uz guys.' My ex wife was an English major, and actually instilled in me the importance of checking spelling on texts etc, but you can take the boy out of the Wyoming Valley PA, but not the Valley out of the boy :rolleyes:

Alik, murphy, S-Bigbottom and 3 others like this.
  11. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    It's gotten so bad that I proofread texts, posts and even memos to myself before I send or save. Sometimes I even re-write post-it notes because whatever isn't centered, or lists aren't in complete sentences or bullet pointed.

The struggle is real.

12. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    She actually already has a bit of a crush on you, from your posts in the ULTIMATE CAT THREAD. IIRC, you posted a photo of youself in cat ears that caught her eye. ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    catcauphonic and S-Bigbottom like this.
  13. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Fixed it for you. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

I have a problem. Lately, my girlfriend, co-workers and even my daughter have expressed their concerns. I am annoying. I can usually stop it before I say something;, but not always. I take too long to spit out a point. Sometimes I even lose my point during my excessive word usage. I correct grammar, punctuation, verb tense, vocabulary... everything.

I never attended post-secondary education, yet often find myself in my thoughts like an English teacher on a vendetta.

My semi-colon semicolon use usage is excessive. I use too many commas. Sometimes my sentences runon for a whole paragraph. How can I be such a language curmudgeon when I myself commit similarly heinous offenses?

Just today I've posted a couple times and noticed I'm too verbose.

I need your help, TBOT. I'm killing people with my bad habit. Don't be gentle. Tough love, please!

Thank you in advance.​

14. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I love it. This is exactly what I need.

"In yo face, Basscooker!"

Thank you thank you thank you

15. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Personally, I would have inserted an Oxford comma after "co-workers" in the first line. And I wouldn't have been wrong.

(Maybe wrong for starting a sentence with the word "and", though. ;))

Winslow and 48thStreetCustom like this.
  16. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I was just being a wise***. Don't take my post like I'm any kind of authority.

basscooker and dwm74 like this.
  17. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    It's especially tough on sites like this where the typed grammar and spelling errors continue to stare at you.

Yeah, I've learned to look past them. It takes all kinds.

basscooker likes this.
  18. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh, NOW you tell me! :D

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  19. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    murphy, Winslow, dwm74 and 1 other person like this.
  20. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I recently stopped using a comma before the final entry in a sentence like my first line. Is it technically correct? I thought it was incorrect due to reading a post here about punctuation.

I'm completely aware I'm just as guilty as anybody of the missteps that make well-educated English-speakers cringe. As I stated in a post I made earlier today, the hypocrisy is palpable; hence this thread.