Grammys -- poor audio yet again this year

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by roller, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    How is it possible that every year the Grammys has such poor broadcast audio? Between poor mixes, mics that aren't pulled up and complete drop-outs throughout the evening, I don't understand how this has become an annual occurrence for this program.

For an show that awards creations whose audio performances have been so carefully engineered, the folks that run the Grammys sure do throw all those practices to the wind when they air this show on CBS.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

All those issues must have happened between 21:30 & 22:00, because I caught the rest of it & didn't notice any audio being dropped.

3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I never watch.. I'm not exhilarated by watching an industry give awards to it's "staff"... :(

Many will not agree with me.. I feel the same about other "awards" shows like the Oscars, etc. My dislike has nothing to do with the music aspect...

4. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    All of this.

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I half watched the programme a couple of days ago with the wife. The poor quality audio is the least of the problems. As UK citizens used to British programming, we couldn't get past how disjointed and jarring the whole programme was. No flow, jumps around. At one point Corden was talking about the spoken word album of the year award, did a skit about it, and then jumped to something else without actually announcing it.

I thought the Brit awards were bad, but this was terribly hashed together.

6. mbart203

mbart203

Dec 29, 2009
    CT.
    Oh, I completely agree.

tfer likes this.
  7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    First thing I noticed was the mix was a complete mess. Synths were burying the lead vox, for cryin out loud.

Just shows how important the sound engineering is and how even in the biggest shows, they can get it so wrong.

One significant problem is that sound engineers purportedly are trying to get something somewhere close to the studio mix. Yet, the live result is often so far off, that I tend to think the SE’s literally are hearing something different from what is actually in the studio mix; hearing what they think is there vs hearing what is actually there. So, their reference is unintentionally off target. That’s a tough one.

8. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Normally they'd run a 4 way split for the four (or more) engineers - FOH, Monitors, Broadcast, and multitrack. I wonder if they cheezed out and just broadcast the FOH L/R mix :wideyed:.

9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

You actually watch that garbage?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018