Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Feb 14, 2005.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    Why in the State's are the Grammy's widely regarded as great music awards....But on the a programme like the Simpson's why is it ridiculed so much as being a rubbish award ceremony? any explainations??!! as i am from Wales like!!!!!
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The Simpsons are a lot smarter than the average American?
  3. haha yup I noticed this as well that on numerous tv shows when it comes to making fun of an award its always the Grammy. I also don't know why but its funny plus I'm not a big fan of them.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  5. The Simpsons are all about making fun of things that are in the news. They make fun of Presidents, actors great and not-so-great, musicians, current politics, national icons, cities, and even the world in general. After the episode where they went to New Orleans and Bart said that NO was "Full of pirates and prostitues!!" New Orleans sued them for defamation of character. Which is why a few episodes later during the opening where Bart is writing on the chalkboard, it says, "I will not defame New Orleans."

Rock on
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Haha - I didnt think that sounded right (I didnt think a city would have a legal capacity to sue somebody) - aparently New Orleans was not happy with the song from the Streetcar Named Marge episode and expressed their displeasure to the Simpsons, but there was no lawsuit.

OTOH it appears that Brazil did sue Fox over the Simpsons once.
  7. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I guess this would be a good thread in which to ask how the grammys are awarded and nominated and all that... Is it based on sales, or what?
  8. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    I caught some of the E! red carpet pre-grammy show this morning. I got some good ol' Usher, Hoobastank & Maroon 5 in. Great (anger) fuel for the run and lifting session.
  9. Yeah, sorry, I got those two mixed up. Rio di Janero was the one that sued, New Orleans just got mad.

"I am on fire, and I dance!!"

That was a great episode.:D:D:D

Rock on
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I love the disclaimer in that grammy episode.

Nerd- "Oh, it's just a grammy."
    Scrolling Disclaimer - The views expressed in the show are not nessicarily those of FOX or the show's creators...who don't even consider the Grammy an award.

Or some such. I'm paraphrasing here; work with me people, work with me.
  11. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Elton John " Oh here have a grammy"
    Then Homer through it out.
    A great teacher I had once said "the Simpsons have vary smart people wrighting about vary dumb people" At the time I didn't know what he was talking about:D
  12. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I don't know whether to think you are a genius or the exact opposite :confused:.
  13. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The Grammys used to mean something way back when people actually played music, and they had actual categories. Now it's Best Rapper, Best Manufactured BubbleGum Boy Band, Best Female Vocalist Who Wear The Least Amount of Clothing, and Female Vocalist Who Can Warble The Most While Singin A Hip Hop Tune.

In short, they disgust me. The whole industry disgusts me. Even Nashville is turning into a factory. Great players are made, not born. Great bands = megacopies of the same band. I wonder what would happen if Usher subbed for Stevie Wonder?
  14. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Are you trying to say if someone works them self to death they can't be a great player?
    Just because they weren't born in musical family or whatever doesn't make them anyless talented. It is real easy to blame them for making crap music isn't it?
    Instead of letting this "manufactured" music get to you. Why don't you just simply turn the radio off or turn the channel?

But whatever to each his own
  15. I dont think he is saying that, Coutts. It's just that the biz has become this way. There's really no denying it; I think the last great period in American music was (gasp!) the 80's. The 90's had some cool stuff, but the 80's had punk and new wave (plus the British Metal Invasion!). Say what you want about the 80's; yeah, there was a lot of cheese, but there always has been.

Having said that, I think the Grammies is a strokefest.
  16. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Complaining about how bad the music industry isn't doing anyone any good?
    But Then you download a few songs off the net it's like "oh your hurting the music industry, that we love and hate so much"
    How about taking a stand and not buying there product. You don't have spend money to buy there product just turn the damn Tv off.
  17. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    There is a time and there is a place for being smart.

How about taking a stand and not buying their product. You don't have spend money to buy their product, just turn the damn TV off.

Sorry, that was bugging me! :D
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

At Century 21, us Realtors are awarded based on sales volume. Why should music...which is a "product" as well, be any different?
  19. I thought sales was only part of the Grammy equation?

If it's really a sales merit, let's call it like it is and call it the 'I sold the most records' award. Has nothing to do w/artistic value.
  20. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Grammy's usually appeal to old people. Simpsons appeal to a younger generation.

And btw, it's a lot harder make music that sells a million records than it is to get good at a certain instrument.