Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grand Band Slam -bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, May 28, 2001.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's way cool, Josh!!!

So, who did you vote for? ;)

Seriously, what's the competition like?

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I guess the process goes like this: you get nominated by the Advocate staff, then if the editors agree you go on the ballot. I'm not too familiar with a lot of the other guys, though I know Joe Sallins is amazing. I bet he takes it, I'm just thrilled to be listed at all!

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    (dave)

hey mr socko, whaddya think of this thread here?

(mr socko)

well, dave, being an expert on threads...

(dave)

uh huh, uh huh...

(mr socko)

...since i'm primarily constructed of thread...

(dave)

uh huh, uh huh...

(mr socko)

...as is all of my closest kith and kin...

(dave)

uh huh, uh huh...

(mr socko)

...i'd say it belongs in bassists!

(dave)

wow, mr socko, you sure are smart! whaddya say we take it there, Right Away!

(socko)

that's great dave, now can you kindly get your hand outta my butt?

5. rickbass

Well, Josh, at the risk of sounding preachy, I really encourage you to seek out the others if you can and see where you stand. Not for the purposes of the poll, but if you hope to take this "bass thing" somewhere, you've got to know whether you're in the elite, or if you're just in the street.

Networking is really important. Many well known bassists got their breaks because other bassists turned down offers and referred those needing a bassist to other bassists' names.

Hopefully, they'll let you know where you rank even if you don't win.

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That's good advice, I do intend to that. They have never published the standings before, but I'll ask them if they don't tell me. I have been looking into the other bassists, most of them are in bands around here apparently, so I'll be able to find their music sooner or later. I'll also attend the concert and meet them in person. It's a winning deal all around, the way I see it.

7. rickbass

Amen to that Josh, it can be a win-win if the competition stays healthy.

There's a local guy I beat out for my present main gig. But he beat me out for a spot in a tour with Delbert McClinton's band, (you may or may not have heard of them; it's sort of a midwest US band). This bassist looks like Juan Nelson and can slap and pop the pants off of me. However, by keeping our relationship friendly, he turned me on to some studio work for commercials I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That's cool, I wish the rest of the world worked like that!