Grand Funk

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by istaticl, Sep 16, 2001.

1. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Is any one farmiliar with the song Inside looking out?
    I wanted to know what kind of effect was used to get that sound. Is it just distortion or something different?
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think that tone is just coming from an overdriven tube amp. I don't know of Mel Schacher using any stomp boxes, but I could be wrong ;) .
  3. I've never seen him use them either.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Nothing special.

It was just the crummy West amps they used pouring too much juice and lows freq's into the speakers, plus the Fender Jazz he played.
  5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    In hindsight, that's true, but at the time, West amps were considered a custom item, and were designed for him. The company was unable to make a go of it outside of Mel's endorsement.
  6. rickbass

Boy!, do I remember. At the time, I assumed they must have been hot snot. But then GFR put out that live album and I learned they actually sounded that awful......couldn't stand Farner's sound either.

I was one of the few in my crowd that thought they sounded horrid. But the Fender 400PS I had at the time, put the Wests to shame.

What else we got in the attic? Hilgen, Jordan, Traynor, Epiphone, Road, Kustom, Marlboro, the Carlsboro Stingray, Simms, Roost, Sonic, Music Man, Randall, Earth, the dodo bird........
  7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    :D LOL!... I play through an Earth 2x15" cab at a rehearsal space. It sounds like poop (to me), but it beats hauling around my own gear just for rehearsals :) .
  8. rickbass

I guess it would sound like poop, Slater, if the speakers have never been reconed. Those came out when concern for the environment became mainstream. I had "Earth" shoes and a "Save the Planet" button.

I bet it's built, though.
  9. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, you forgot Lab Series....
  10. rickbass

Did they make bass amps? I know their guitar amps were supposed to be hot snot.
  11. Hey now...
    What's wrong with Music Man? 130 watts through a 118 cab. Ya wanna talk low end?
  12. rickbass

Who said anything bad about MM or any of those others :confused:
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Best amp I ever owned was a Music Man 65...never went past "2"(Volume); the SWR & Eden stuff I own(ed)...I'm constantly pushing.
    I remember one guy in the neighborhood who had a red Kustom head with a green 2x15 cab...nice. ;)

How 'bout Orange Amps?
  14. rickbass-
    sorry I didn't mean anyone was really saying anything bad... just that some of the other barnds listed were a bit, er, ahhh, welll....... cheesy.

Not that there is anything wrong with that!