Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grand Prix or I.O.D.?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigBohn, Oct 31, 2001.

1. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Hey, I need a little help from all of you guys. Alittle background: I like bands like Incubus, RHCP, RATM, Deftones, Primus, and the like. I think I really dig the clean hi-fi tone, but I think I want that touch of "grit" to match the distortion of my guitarist. I'm unsure as of this point. So, any comments/suggestions towards the Grand Prix or the I.O.D.? Thanks beforehand.

2. Personally, i would recommend the IOD between the two unless you really want a parametric eq.

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    keep in mind they don't make the Grand Prix anymore.. so it might be a little harder to find.

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    yeah, but tonewise, do you think the IOD or Grand Prix. From the setups I hear of bands, the IOD would be more prefered for the grit and for the clean hi-fi that I want. The Grand Prix seems to be a realy really clean preamp w/ parametric EQ (which I can always add in another rackmount i.e. the Behringer ULTRA-Q PRO PEQ2200, which would go with the rest of my Behringer gear in the rack). Bands like Dave Matthews use this, and thats a really clean band, no distortion whatsoever on many of their tracks. I think I'm leanin towards the IOD, and away from the Ampeg BSP and PRO as I liked before.

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Well you really only have one choice since SWR discontinued the Grand Prix.

6. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    go for the IOD. i perfer the tone, and its a heck of a lot easier to come by.

7. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    You could also keep your current rig and get a SansAmp stomp box. It has a preamp tube in it and the ability to dial in varying amounts of distortion. If the distortion is'nt for you it also has an eq section and a dirct box.

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    thanks alot you guys, and BTW this will be my main preamp for awhile.

9. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Um, sorry to split hairs, but for the sake of accuracy, the SansAmp Bass Driver does not have a tube, nor does any Tech21 product that I know of.

(I'm getting the IOD soon, I'll report my glee)

10. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I stand corrected about the tube in the sansamp,it just sounds like there is one.

11. IOD all the way. It is one of the finest tube preamps out there IMO. You can always add a fancy EQ later in the chain.....I love mine. Rich, buttery....Mmmmm.

12. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    does the IOD have a footswitch that would control channel change and muting the preamp?

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    IOD man. it is the absolutely best sounding piece of bass gear i've ever touched.

it does have a footswitch that will mute the tube channel, but you'd have to read the manual to make sure you get the volumes matched. it doesn't have two channels like a guitar amp - it has two channels that you blend between. go to www.swrsound.com and read the manual.

but it has IMO the perfect clean tone. it's clean, yet warm. defined, yet fat. my only problem with mine is that it's noisier than i'd like, but that has to do with the tubes being damaged during shipping i think. i'm gonna take it in soon, it's not like it isn't under warranty or anything.

jason

14. Yesterday I wasted some time at the local Guitar Center and had the Nice Young Man demo both an SVT4-Pro and SWR Mo' Bass with a Zon, Warwick, and a 1972 P-bass.

The SWR was bordering on piercingly shrill. Very sharp almost painful. The Ampeg sounded nearly the same... perhaps I'm just tone deef.. The SWR was decidedly lacking on the bottom, then again so was the Ampeg, but then again I don't like 10s...

My question: IOD owners, how close does the IOD sound in clean mode compared to the Mo' Bass, or a Bass 350?

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    bass 350. the mobass clean tone sounds like @ss.

jason

16. Hmmm... perhaps more like sharp pieces of broken gl@ss. The Mo' Bass was waaay too shrill and brittle sounding for my tastes. And wimpy as hell in the bottom.

However, I think actual @ss must be infrasonic, as @ss is best appreciated when felt, rather than heard. The times when I've heard @ass rather than feeling it was through an adjoining wall, and it was usually accompanied by a percussion section that sounded very similar to a head board.

:D

17. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    oh so true:D

18. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    as of now, the decision is the SWR IOD because it is a bit gritty like an SVT and has the SWR hi-fi clean that I love in my heavy metal/funk/slap music I will be playin in my band. And it appears that the SWR IOD has nice solid metal knobs and feels nice, not to mention its very shiny chrome exterior face:D . Can anyone comment on if that is true?

Also the SVP-PRO felt cheap and had plastic knobs. ugh. if i pay that much, i might as well pay a little more for something that I'll like longer.

19. Bassplay Ragazine did a review on the SVT and commented about the cheesy construction of the knobs and board in general. The SVP is the preamp section, so it stands to reason the construction techniques are identical. SWR uses premium grade components, and if the IOD was built the same as my old Bass 750 amp, it would be built like a tank. Very hiss free and solid.

I spent a day at Guitar Center having the Nice Young Man demo an SVT4-Pro, SVT Classic, an SWR Mo' Bass and the SWR Bass 350 through a variety of SWR and Ampeg cabs. He used a Zon, Warwick, and a 1972 genuine P-bass.

The Ampegs sound like, well, a bass amp. I was expecting to see a revelation but didn't. Mebbe I'm tone deef, but I wanted to hear the Ampeg "grind" but all I heard was a bass amp. The NYM drove it hard enough to make the 8x10 and 4x10 fart, which wasn't very appealing. I did notice that none of the cabs had a lot of bottom, but that's life with 10s.

The NYM moved over to the SWR stuff, and with the Zon, the sound was so bright and shrill to the point of being like broken glass. I can see where that would be a slapper and popper's heaven. The Megoliath, Goliath 2x10, and SOB all had even less bottom than the Ampeg.

They did not have an IOD, which was what I really wanted to hear. Bummer. Tried a couple stores that day, and nobody had an IOD. I also figure the only real way to listen to any of the preamps is to bring in our own and do a side-by-side A/B test.

The idea of the IOD having a foot switch to kick in the grind is really appealing to me. I hate to break stride and fiddle with switch on my RB5 for a solo, and a foot switch would be perfect.

20. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    hey, you seem like a knowledgeable person about cabinets and the like. i would like as the lowest possible low end i could get, BUT i do want a very nice sounding slapping/popping sort of amp. i play primus, incubus, rhcp, ratm-sort of stuff and with a loud guitar-distortion band. what cabs would you recommend? 10s, 12s, 15s, 18s??? The way I was looking at it now what with this equipment:

SWR IOD
    and
    Carvin DCM2000 poweramp
    into
    a SWR Goliath III (maybe 2 of em in the future)

you can kind of see my price limit, which is about up to 800 bucks for 1 cabinet, and 600 for a preamp. your advice would be greatly appreciated.