Grand Prix or I.O.D.?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigBohn, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Search the threads. Low and Loud are mutually at odds. Low + Loud = LOTS of Power is the equation.

From your equipment list, I would skip the Carvin DCM 2000 and look into a QSC PLX 3402... one can never have too much power. They sell lots of 3402 on eBay in either mint or new-in-box condition.

JBL E140s make a sh!tload of noise, but they don't go particularly low. If you are looking at store-bought cabs, pull down my Musician's Reference spreadsheet from my signature and look at the CABS tab. You can sort it anyway you want, so look for high SPL sensitivity if Loud is your thing. The real trick to Loud is having lots of speakers and lots of power.

I bi-amp two 1x15 subs with a pair of JBL E110s for the highs through a 3,000 watt QSC MX-3000a, and I used to keep up with my guitar player with his 60 watt amp and 12" JBL. He recently added another cab, so I'm playing catchup again. My example is worse case, as I use true subwoofers which are horribly power hungry and inefficient. I'm slowly building another four 1x10 subwoofer cabs so I can mix and match for gig sizes, or sheer volume. Maybe two 1x15 subs, four 1x10 subs and a pair of E110s will let me get as loud as the guitar player.

:D

2. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    thats a nice poweramp, but im on a limited budget, kind of, plus id only use it in my house and in my band with friends from school. i dont think id be going on the road as of yet, and i think the DCM2000 is great for the price. i kind of still like the Goliaths, thanks for the links.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022