1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GRANDMA SCAM ALERT

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by ChuckCorbis, Jan 15, 2012.

1. My Mom fell for $8,910. wire fraud scam this week.

Three people impersonating my son, a L.A. County Public defender, and a Superior court judge managed to convince Nana to wire $2,970. on 3 consecutive calls. Mom thought it was my son when they called saying he had injured 3 people severely in a auto accident.

She immediately went to the bank and wired the money to a recipient in Peru. She said he requested she not call me until he was released from jail. Nana honored his request. I am in shock that she fell for this. On the fourth call she became suspicious and immediately called her bank.

Mom had just returned home from an outpatient colonoscopy procedure in which she received the anesthesia Propofol.

The good news! The bank caught it in time. The funds were reversed back to my mother's account. What a relief.

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I think Banks usually confirm by phone large transactions over a certain amount before they go through, even if it's wired. That has been my experience. I think they're looking for unusual transactions. They won't bother me if I plunk a bunch of money on a car, but if it's going overseas or to another account, they always give me a call.

3. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    I constantly warn my elderly relatives of scams-there are so many things that the elderly do not expect people would do.

(edited-frankly, even I'm surprised and amazed.)

It is an absolute outrage, the story you described, and I hope the FBI was brought in.

4. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    my grandpa does not even know how to wire money. That is what he has a bookkeeper for.

I know that a few years ago he gave her a buick lucerne for Christmas, and he has given her and her husband property in the mountains, so she keeps track of his money pretty well... Grampa is a very generous old man, but he can be a tough old guy when he has to be

5. This type of scam has cost many elderly people a lot of money. Good for the bank, and glad you got the word out about this.