Grandpa asking for advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PapaBill, Oct 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PapaBill

PapaBill

Oct 16, 2017
    My 9 yr grandson picked up a Bass this summer and is hooked. I am a 63 year old grandpa who went out on Craigslist and found a very red Squire p Base for him. I tried to attach a picture. He's happy. I noticed this new guitar has more controls and a different pickup setup than others being played at his school. I'm concerned about him learning tonality and feel along with musicality. Should I think about a less involved, simpler version of the Bass. I see older p Basses that look to be a bit simpler in design. I'm lost as what to do.

Second area of advice. I caught the older guitar bug a bit. Found this Craigslist offer for $65. Can't find a single post on this guitar as a Teister build. The seller says it's a a 1960 build from Teister which I read is a Japanese company. Weren't they a 1980 thing? Then, I searched on the name on the neck and can't find a single post on it that way either. I was thinking this guitar looks aged and might have a legacy/pro sound the grandson might gravitate to; also it's electronics/controls look simpler for the Grandson as well. Your help on this purchase decision is greatly appreciated. I'll try to attach pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I can't comment on that vintage bass but what you bought your grandson is a Squier Affinity PJ and is a fine bass if he's comfortable with it. It's one knob more complicated than a standard precision bass. I don't know if he's holding it that way for the picture but he'll need to work on holding it properly. Otherwise his playing will suffer and he could potentially develop hand or arm or shoulder issues. If he can get comfortable with that bass played properly, than great. If not he might be more comfortable with something smaller like a short scale bass.

3. twelvetrombones

twelvetrombones Martian Ambassador Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Nothing wrong with the red PJ, it just has a Jazz pickup in the bridge position in addition to the P pickup at the neck, with one more knob controlling the volume of the 2nd pickup or blending between the two. It does have somewhat more tonal variety than the P-bass pickup alone, but I wouldn't worry about that being too distracting.

Edit: What @Gorn said about looking for a shorter scale bass maybe.

4. Maybe you're thinking of Teisco.

They used to make basses and guitars.

teisco-jazz-bass-copy-xl.jpg

jamro217, 4dog, Lvjoebass and 2 others like this.
  5. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Awesome grampa! I agree with both of the previous posters. They do also make child sized starter basses/guitars.

6. PapaBill

PapaBill

Oct 16, 2017
    ZenG, Thank you. Still no hits on the proper spelling of the name. Is it too few owned to have any history or folks so happy these don't hit the market often. If it's a Teisco it must be in that wave of cheaper Japanese guitars designed for entry level use (wild guess).

jamro217 and TN WOODMAN like this.
  7. PapaBill

PapaBill

Oct 16, 2017
    Thank you Gorn and twelvetrompones. I just took your info and went to website on the Squire Affinity bass and read about it having both the older style p-bass pickup and a jazz bass pickup. Now that's awesome. The kid can learn different tonalities. He'll love that because he's got this engineer thing going on too. I think he'll be a player and a builder someday.

8. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Don’t take away the bass you have already given him!! That’s an easy bass to figure out. You can pick up a Squier Bronco which is smaller. Again leave the original gift as it stands. From another Grampa. Played bass 54 years so far.

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    That red Squier is a GREAT starter instrument.
    Actually, a good instrument for about any level!

wintremute, jamro217, smperry and 8 others like this.
  10. PapaBill

PapaBill

Oct 16, 2017
    [QUOTE[/QUOTE]
    [QUOTE="EatS1stBassist...[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Taking away the Red Squire would crush the kid I think. Is buying the older guitar I also talked about and putting it in our home as mine be a decent investment. There are used Chinese-build Bass Squires that come up for sale in this range at times, but a legit 1960's Japanese might be the better investment for me. your thoughts as a player and grandpa are appreciated.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Those old Japanese basses aren't worth much.

12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Purchasing an instrument as an investment is risky at best.
    I would guess that the bass you are asking about will never be worth an appreciable amount. If that is the sole reason for purchase, I would pass.

If you also want it around so Grandson can play when he visits then carry on.

EatS1stBassist and PapaBill like this.
  13. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I don't disagree with any of the comments so far in this thread, just wanted to comment on your cute grandkids! Good job PapaBill!!

14. A jaguar short scale would be a better fit for the lil' fella but if he's game, he'll grow into this one. Used Jag SS's should come in at south of $150 in good condition.

15. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    It's a good starter bass. I'm sure he'll be quickly understanding the controls.

16. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    View attachment 2784685

Thank you. Taking away the Red Squire would crush the kid I think. Is buying the older guitar I also talked about and putting it in our home as mine be a decent investment. There are used Chinese-build Bass Squires that come up for sale in this range at times, but a legit 1960's Japanese might be the better investment for me. your thoughts as a player and grandpa are appreciated.[/QUOTE]

yes I agree. From my own experience when I was young. Certain older Basses from Japan can be or become collectible. It still has to be a great instrument. That said there are other basses that climb in value at a steady rate. Such as Fender Japan and Squier Korea. I myself just ordered a Brand new Sterling Ray5 and at $320 cannot be beat. Also, a great amp for your grandson is important.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    jchrisk1 and PapaBill like this.
  17. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    jamro217, jchrisk1 and PapaBill like this.
  18. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I agree with everyone. Just make sure the bass is set up well, and let him consider taking lessons which is very important for a beginner to avoid possible long term injuries, and developing bad habits that won't be easy to fix otherwise.

sambass, Spidey2112, design and 2 others like this.
  19. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Perhaps quite literally. My left little finger is noticeably longer and stronger than my right ( even though I'm right-handed), I ascribe this to picking up bass in my late teens and playing a lot while I was still growing. Grandson may have Stanley Clark fingers by age 15!

PapaBill and EatS1stBassist like this.
  20. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sounds like someone conflated "Teisco" and "Tele Star". Tele Star is a model made by Teisco.

Regarding longscale vs shortscale. I've gone full circle, I started in '60s with a shortscale, later added longscales and for the last several years I've gigged exclusively with shortscales.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021