Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grandpa here needs a glossary of hip music styles...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Sep 17, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'll be turning 36 next week, and though I'm not yet feeling old or unhip, I haven't been keeping up with all of the latest terms to describe various styles of popular rock music. I read the "what is emo" thread with interest because I'd been asking myself that question for some time... but that's only one of the baffling terms I run across in the musician referral ads I peruse in vain hopes of finding a kinder, gentler gig. Here are a few, maybe folks can post some others I've left out...

ALTERNATIVE: Okay, I was confused about this one back in the 80's and 90's, too. The definition kept shifting and evolving, but man, where has it gone to these days? I mean, back in the day, stuff that might now be labelled "alt. country" could fit in this category, but I suspect these days it refers to very heavy music that doesn't fall into any other neat category.

DEATHMETAL: Sounds scary.

EMO: Covered in the other thread...

EMOCORE: Is this really necessary?

GRIND/GRINDCORE: Sounds like something heavy, I suspect because terms like "industrial grindcore" just don't sound pretty...

HARDCORE: I never found myself wanting to listen to enough of this to be able to call myself familiar with this genre back in the day, and I bet that's still the case... but how would I distinguish this from, say, screamo?

MELODIC/HEAVY: I guess this is a category for people who forget that big hair and guitar wankage already had it's own decade.

METALCORE: You're really just trying to confuse grandpa with this one, aren't you?

NUMETAL: They use 7 string guitars and rap is allowed. That's all I know.

POP/PUNK: Okay, I think I know this one, and I actually like many of the songs I've heard that fall into this category - good to see new blood keeping the classic recipe for fun pop rock alive. I'm just afraid I'll offend some youngster by inadvertently confusing this genre with "regular" punk or maybe even emo... I don't know.

PUNK: Okay I admit, I still think of the 70's when I hear this word.

SCREAMO: Obviously a variant of emo, so I guess I should learn what emo is and imagine a "more screamy" version...

SPEED-: I think I know what speedmetal is, but now this prefix gets associated with other words like "melodic," "grind," and "core." Grandpa's head hurts and he needs to go lie down and stop thinking about this one...

TREND/TRENDY: Not a style, but a term of negative judgemement applied obessively by the punk set. Why? ***? I suppose they just like the smell of their own irony...

Side note: As I was running through ads to get some of these terms, I noticed some kid who misspelled alternative as "alternaive." Gotta love it... umm, unless that's a real genre... :eek:

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Heh! I'm 45 and mostly in the same boat. I read Alternative Press to keep up with what's new and not overplayed (yet), but can't give you bands to fit those terms. The important thing is that you get the general idea, and you have the general idea. Most (good) bands don't fit tidily under one label anyway.

It gets even crazier when you get into techno. You wouldn't believe all the variants: trance, dance, house, acid, big beat, breakbeat, downbeat, jungle/drum'n'bass, drill'n'bass, gabber, garage, happy hardcore, digital hardcore, ambient, illbient, dubwise, dub-hop, trip-hop, IDM ("intelligent dance music"), electro funk, electroclash. I kept up with that for awhile until electronica became a "big thing" in the late 90's.

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    i doubt this was intended as a joke, but some of them are great!

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Oh, ye of little faith... ;)

5. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    The only thing I can answer with a definant answer is Alternative, every Genre of music has an "Alternative" in it. Which is basically anything thats played outside the mainstream (what radio's constantly play)media.

6. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    geez, i only use a few genres(sp?). there's rock, country, rap, classic rock, jazz/blues, old r and b, and classical. i guess everything you said fits neatly into rock. i like my way of thinkin, it's easy.:)