Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Granite Countertops

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Oct 8, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Anyone have experience finishing and polishing granite countertops? I am about to buy a few slabs of granite for our kitchen, and I need to cut out a couple holes for undermount sinks. I have the skill set to cut and install the granite, just not so sure on the skills to polish the raw edges after I cut it. It seems esy enough, but all the pro's I have talked to want to charge $300 PER hole. Is it that hard?

-Mike

2. So many jokes...which one to go with?

Mike

3. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Nuff said on '$300 per' ... I did have an architect friend who did a number of homes in Catsworth CA with granite kitchens, walls, waterfalls. The guy loved granite, and did great work with it. The upside ... it looks great, it is much much harder than marble ... the downside.... it iss much much harder than marble, which is why you are being charged a lot for cutting it.

A couple of other things. You should reseal granite kitchen counters every 6 months if you use them for washing, cutting and so forth. Otherwise they stain. A minor thing, but perhaps important if you live in an area with long winters and the house is closed up. Granite emits a lot of radon, and this can build up to dangerous levels in a house with a lot of granite. We have this problem in Hong Kong, where everything is built with granite based concrete (Hong Kong is built on granite) where a closed office can over the weekend build up a level of radon 10 times the max USDA safe dose. We always leave windows open to air places out, which effectively solves the problem ... but you can only do this all year around in a tropical environment

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thank you for that info. I had no idea, and I thought I had done all my research.

-Mike

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    We just did the flooring in a million dollar + house for our local "parade of homes" that had granite installed as stair treads from the basement, all the way to the upper levels. A pro granite and marble company did the install, yet still broke several of them in the process.

Good luck!