Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Granite fingerboard basses!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fozzy, Jan 23, 2005.

1. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
  2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I wonder what kind of adhesive do they use to bond stone to wood and fretting a pice stone must be a hard work.

BTW: neck-dive comes to my mind.

3. Ditto.

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Wouldn't that just ruin your strings too? I have seen glass fretboards though, which for some reason some more reasonable.

5. Those things must have stupidly awesome sustain though.

6. Well it sure would look cool, thats for sure! :D Im sure they are hella expensive though.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The Stonehenge looks cool. I wonder what they sound like.

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Sheesh! how dumb is that?

EVERYONE knows marble sounds better.

:D

(Waits for the first "Rock" joke)

9. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
  10. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i remember there being a thread about this a little while ago.

anyway the nexus stuff looks really cool, i'd love to hear the tone from a granite fingerboard

-jimbo

11. Uh oh, looks like i have found a downside. Front side output jack. :crying: :scowl: I really like the monster bass look but just want a fiver. I do like the Atryda 5 alot though thats for sure. Too bad it doesnt show a price at all on their store for it. I might have to email them about it.

12. I guess i must apologize haha, I just saw that it does say you can get them in different woods and "hardware configurations" VERY good thing.

13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'm not so sure I understand what's going on with the Monster Bass..it looks like you'd play it like a stick because of the lighter string guages ontop and the thicker bass string in the middle....can someone clarify the reason?

EDIT: I just realised that the top is EADG but on a fretless board, thanks anyway :).

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'm curious how can you set it up...
    Granite's so hard, I'm not sure if you can set the neck.

Aluminium-fb basses have better possibilities: alu is light, resistant to corrosion (the corrode top layer protects the metal), strong and yet hard

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Man, those things are fugly!

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm ignorant to this aspect of tone.

I guess a good place for me to start is: what's the difference between the sound of say, an all-maple neck as compared with a maple neck with a rosewood or ebony fretboard?

I'd think you'd maybe get better sustain with a fretboard made of a denser material, because vibrations from the fretted-end of the string wouldn't as easily transfer back into the neck through the fret. Am I thinking right?

Joe

17. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    well, Joe, i'm no expert on woods and such (i know there are countless TBers here that are :) ) but to my ears i've noticed differences in tones between fingerboard woods. some sound brighter, some deeper and such. as for an all maple neck vs. a maple neck with rosewood/ebony board--i guess it would be a thing for your ears to find out??

warmoth has descriptions of woods on their necks page--some of them do say the uses as fingerboards

http://www.warmoth.com/bass/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=guitar_neckwoods

hope that helps a little. i'd like to learn some more about wood effects on tone too, since my knowledge is so limited.

-jimbo

18. Its looks like one half of the neck is fretless, EADG, and the other half is fretted BEADG, so if your playing you have a fretless four ontop of a fretted 5. Thats pretty freakin awesome.

EDIT: ha woops didnt see your edit

19. No no no! Stone is all wrong!

I would be so worried about cracking it. Too brittle!

This guy is nuts!

20. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    +1