Grants for students needing Basses & Bows.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by AnitaBass4MyKid, Sep 14, 2002.

1. AnitaBass4MyKid

AnitaBass4MyKid Guest

Sep 14, 2002
    I am trying to find scholarships and grants that will provide insturments and/or bow to outstanding bass students in need of financial help to have a decent insturment and bow. I started researching this on behalf of my daughter who desperatly needs a bass and bow. I am now learning that there are many other bass students in the same predictiment. I have only been able to find two programs that provide this type of aid. The solo program offered by the Mr. Holland's Opus foundation and the other through the Virtu foundation.

The director of Fine Arts Education for our school district recently told our orchestra bass students that once they make the UIL State Orchestra new basses will be ordered. This is a great goal to set for the students, but I compare it to giving a race car driver a Yugo and telling him that once he win the Indy 500 he can have the car needed to win the race.

Any help or input is appreciated.

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Being a maker/restorer and minor-league dealer of basses, I've had a little experience in this area. Usually the donation comes about through the auspices of a youth orchestra. Most are affiliated with professional orchestras, and sometimes members (of the professional orchestra) arrange for patron grants to help out their promising students. The times I've been involved, there was no formal organization in the picture; merely a donation from a well-off patron to help an aspiring and talented youngster. The Gary Karr foundation loans very fine basses to advanced young players to use for practice and concertizing...but that's the extent of my knowledge there. Perhaps his group has tie-ins with organizations that assist younger, less advanced kids. I suggest you contact the ISB, which Karr himself founded. (
  3. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    It's too bad that there aren't more programs out there... with other instruments that are too expensive for students to afford they can usually borrow one from the school and take it home but not with basses. It kills me to know how much better I "could" be if practicing didn't involve a 20 minute drive to school and if I wasn't limited by the building closing at 8pm!