Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

graph tech saddles

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Mar 2, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I got some with my jazz. The previous owner put them on.

I think they are the plastic string saver ones.
    Do these affect the sound? or are they just good for making strings last longer.

also is it extending the "bright sounding" period of the strings, or is it just making them last longer before I break them. The latter would suck since i have never broken a string without plastic saddles So i doubt i will for a long time

thanks,

2. I have a guitar set on my strat (they were the same price as regular ones, and more black! ;)) and they are billed as increasing sustain as well as reducing string breakages. I didn't know they made bass ones... They ought to be graphite, not plastic, BTW. I'll let someone else more knowledgeable comment on the tonal differences :)

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    oh i didnt know they were graphite. i kinda just assumed they were plastic. reducing breakages on a strat? ive GOT to get one of our guitarists some of these for his birthday. hes usually playing a 5 string guitar :D

4. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    Definitely graphite and on a guitar which I had fitted with some the sound was not as hard as when it was with steel saddles fitted. It depends what material your previous saddles were to determine what difference you should expect. How do you think they sound?

5. Yes, it did seem a bit smoother on my strat. However, its kinda hard for me to tell given the hideous state the previous owner left the guitar in. They still look darn cool though! ;)

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Graph Tech saddles are a great improvement for your
    bass. Like upgraded rims on a car, they just do a better
    job. Plus, Graph Tech is a high end very well respected
    company in the "gear" end of the industry. I think you
    can feel very good about the upgrade.

7. Just been browsing the Graph Tech website, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the "Ghost" piezo/preamp system? Looks pretty cool, and I wasn't aware of any after market piezo/midi pickups like that. Oh! A Link!
    Edit- As endorsed by Guns'n'Roses. Apparently. Because you care ;)

8. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    any idea what these things are worth?

I got my MIM, new saddles, old saddles and the usual accessories for £206.

will it increase the resale value?

EDIT: nevermind i found some on ebay for £20-30, guess they are pretty good. i might actually put on the old saddles to compare

9. yeah, around £30 a set seems to be the going rate round here. My local guitar shop ordered them for me. The website (www.graphtech.com) has US$ pricings too.

10. catboyzee

catboyzee

Jul 20, 2007
    I have a similar dilemma. Thinking about replacing the saddles on my ESP J204 bass with the SS(String Savers). Love the SS on my MIM Strat. The tone is warmer with a little more sustain, and I have yet to break a string with them. All that's great for electric guitar. But I'm still skeptical of how the SS would improve the tone and playability of a bass. One of us is gonna have to take the plunge and dish on the results. Of course I could just ditch the stock Gotoh 201, but finding a direct replacement requires more time, research, and $.

11. catboyzee

catboyzee

Jul 20, 2007
    *******UPDATE*******
    A month or so ago I took the plunge and installed a set of Graphtec saddles on my ESP J-204. There is a noticeable difference in tone and playability. The saddles seemed to have 'tamed' and smoothed out the harmonics as well as balanced the tone string-to-string. There is more focus and warmth in the attack. I have to agree with Graphtec on the increase of sustain, I was pleasantly surprised to find that advertisement was true for my instrument! Only negative is the saddle screws are slightly smaller. I was on a gig and was wondering why the bass sounded out of tune. After the set I inspected the bass and discovered one of the saddles had moved; the screw to the D string was sticking out of the bridge plate by about a 1/4 inch. Easy fix though; I simply pushed it back in place, verified the intonation(which thankfully didn't shift despite the movement) and kept it moving. I've played a number of gigs since this incident and have had any problems with intonation or the saddle screws moving. That little incident aside, I'm actually quite pleased with the Graphtec Bass Saddles sonically and financially speaking. I'd recommend them to any DIYer or experienced guitar tech looking to improve the sound of a stock Fender-style bass bridge.

12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Never did saddles, but I'm a big fan of graphtech lubed nuts. I got them to make tuning more stable and less "sticky" which they very much do. I read comments about how they improve the tone as well and I figured it was just a bunch of talk. But after using them on a number of basses I swear the tone seems better! So I wouldn't be surprised if the saddles work well too!