Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Graphic card driver troubles

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joris, Sep 13, 2003.

1. So I bought a PC game. It says on the box: 100% directX9 compatible 16 MB 3D accelerated graphics card.

I never upgraded the video drivers ever since I bought the card, so I thought: I'll just download a new driver for my (3-year old) graphic card, a Diamond Stealth III S540.

Turns out Diamond multimedia went broke and doesn't update their drivers anymore. The game really won't run.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this game work (Tomb Raider angel of darkness) without having to buy a new graphics card?

The stealth S540 was (still is) a very popular video card, maybe someone knows the way to a recent driver update. I looked on www.video-drivers.com, to no avail.

Thanks, I appreciate any help.

2. well, the only solution I can logically think of is to get a new one...as much as you don't want to ;) Other than that, all I can think of is to look for the drivers on kazaa or some program like that, or search for the disk (if there is one) that came with it and install the drivers for it.

3. ok, first of all, kazaa is not the place to look for drivers. and with a 3 year old cd the drivers are most likely very outdated.

have you downloaded and installed directx 9? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx for the newest updata (9b)

and for drivers(all win), look here: http://beta.driverguide.com/beta/in...h&qa5=4&qa6=305&qa7=1999&dp=2&sm=e&fzz=d&jmda[0]=and&jmda[1]=and&jmda[2]=and&jmda[3]=and&jmda[4]=and&qm0a . If you're asked for a login, then use login: "drivers" and password: "all"

hope this works for you,
    Kjartan

4. I found drivers for my 3 year old scanner on kazaa :p

5. oh, and btw... you should be able to get a decent new card for $30 or even less.

6. The_Bass, you been searchin the black market again?

7. The_bass, thanks for the suggestion, but I looked at driverguide.com (which is the same database as video-drivers.com), for which the password is "driver" (without "s") btw.

I did install the drivers from the CD that came with the card, but never bothered to update them after that.

DirectX9 came with the game, so it's installed. It's the DX9 dialog box that says it won't run and I need newer drivers. The game only repeats it after DX9.

8. Well, if the company isn't in business anymore, and the video card drivers need to be updated to run compatibly with DX9 and the game...then you probably aren't going to find them anywhere. My suggestion is to go find a nice GeForce4 or Radeon and life will be good :)

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    ..better make that Geforce FX5600($150), FX5200($80) if you are on tight budget.

10. where the hell do u find these cards for so cheap??! i cant find a geforcefx for cheaper than $300!

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    You are probably looking at retail and/or 'Ultra'-versions of the cards - they are more expensive. Bulk packages without games and such and cards with standard (non-Ultra) chip are cheaper.

12. That would surely explain it!

13. a 32mb geforce card should be enough. I've got Geforce2 MX200 32mb, and have been using for a long time. it works with the newest drivers from nvidia.

http://anandtech.bizrate.com/buy/pr...43991,att247--42629-,cat_id--405,rf--wgg.html

here are some prices for some cards. it's just what a quick google-search came up with.

a 32mb is obviusly not the best you can get, but my geforce has worked perfectly for me and I haven't yet seen a reason to get rid of it. It suports DX9, and I've played some quite graphic-heavy games on it; Wolfenstein(the new one), BF1942, EVE Online and more and usually with good results.

14. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    as an all points bulletin, you should NOT purchase a Geforce FX... EVER.

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Oh, now that you say so, I see the error in my ways! You are absolutely right! The FX-cards are the spawn of the devil! ;)

16. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
  17. my friend scored a GeForce 4 ti 4600 for 150! :eek:

btw, that was after a 150 dollar rebate, but still! :eek: :cool:

18. why are they so evil? i see one of them as number 3 on that chart. and also, why doesnt it show the lower radeon models like it does the Fx models?
    im sure the radeon 9000-9500 would be similar to the 5600s of the fx cards :meh:

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Compare the price of a 9600 to the 5900.

From what I've heard, the NV cards will do OpenGL games very well. It's DX9 they have issues with.

20. It's cuz their so damned advanced and powerful!