1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Graphic EQ: before the amp or in the FX loop?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Oleg BassPlayer, Dec 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    I'm going to get a graphic EQ pedal. It's going to be my only effect.
    How should I plug it in? Should I just connect it to the active (-..db) input of the amp? Or will it be better to run it in the FX loop? What if an amp doesn't have separate active/passive inputs nor FX loop?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Which amp do you have?

Passive/active inputs depend on your bass, not necessarily effects.

Effects loop if you have one. Then in between bass and amp.

Be careful of boosting 62hz. You can over extend mechanical limits of speaker.

Set your amp flat when you start experimenting with settings.

Oleg BassPlayer likes this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Active/passive inputs aren't for active and passive instruments. It's a stupid name people started using a long time ago that won't go away.
    The inputs are normal and lower gain. Always try the normal input first. If it sounds bad try the other one. Period.

What are you wanting to do with the EQ?
    Is it going to be always on? Does the amp have a tube pre?
    Different applications call for different placement.

4. You might consider a parametric EQ instead of graphic.
    PEQ has fewer band-pass filters so usually produces fewer unwanted artifacts (ringing, phasing etc).
    The adjustable frequency makes it easier to home in on frequencies of interest.
    The better ones have adjustable Q (bandwidth) so you can tweak each band to be broad and gentle or narrow and peaky as required.

5. jdaunt

jdaunt

Jun 30, 2016
    Flint
    Before the amp. EQ pedals run at Instrument level, the effects loop needs Line level.