Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

graphic EQ in a 1U space

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by qveda, Nov 21, 2004.

1. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    I typically play my Stick through two full range cabs, pan bass slightly left and treble slightly right, but the stereo FX (reverb, chorus, etc) are more or less stereo. I'm thinking about getting a graphic EQ so I can quickly make some adjustments if my live solo sound doesn't seem to fit the venue. Ideally, I'd like to use just one rack space for a high-quality graphic EQ.

I'm considering a some 1U EQ's: Ashly dual-chnl 15-band, or Rane 'stereo' 30-band EQ (one row of sliders affects both channels) .

Would 15-band give enough control? Would I regret not being able to adjust each channel separately if I get a 'stereo' EQ? (seems like the 'stereo' one would make things easier).

thanks!
    -Qua

2. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Have you considered parametrics rather than graphic? It took me some time to get used to it, but now I find it a lot easier to "tune in", more versatile, in general it's just a more powerful tool for me. On top of that, some models have individual bypass switches on each band. Allows for instant back and forth switching between several very specific "sounds".

3. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm open to parametric, but thought it would be more difficult to use when your setting up and don't have a lot of time to adjust to the room. also, I figured a 2chnl parametric would be more expensive for the same level of quality - but perhaps not. any recommendations for a 2chnl parametric in 1U space ?

4. Find yourself one of these:

Alesis DEQ230 - a digital graphic with presets. It's very clean (Alesis quality) and does a pretty cool light show.

[​IMG]

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Are your two cabs the same model? I run a stereo rig with one parametric, which is pre-EFX. I find parametrics much faster and easier to do quick setups on than a 1/3 octave graphic, but I've been using them for many years too. If you get one with bypassable bands, you can have a few different preset tones at your fingertips, which can be very useful.

I also have an older DBX dual 15 band graphic, and I've used the Ashly, Rane, and lots of the ART ones, which are good for the money. All of these work fine. 15 bands is plenty for bass in most situations, and probably for the Stick as well, IMO.

A digital solution is tempting these days, as you could get both graphic and parametric in a single space unit. If quick setup is important to you, something like the Alesis would probably be the ticket, but that would be less flexible than some of the menu driven systems lilke the B******er DEQ.

BTW, I have a single space Symetrix parametric, single space DBX dual 15 graphic (switchable to one 31 bander as well), and a two space Ashly stereo 7 band parametric, all for sale at the moment. PM me if you feel like it, or not. :cool:

6. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    It may take some time getting used to parametrics, but I found it so much easier and faster to dial in. I don't use the 12 band graphic on my preamp anymore, I can do everything with two bands of parametrics and the magic preshape button on the amp.

Parametrics might be more expensive indeed, and harder to find both new and used, especially if you need two channels in 1 unit. Some options:
    • Single channel parametrics, pre effects, as suggested by Passinwind. Choice of many brands used for reasonable prices (TC1140, Rane PE15 or PE17, Ashly, B*******r spring to mind)
    • two half or 1/3 units (Alesis used to make a 1/3 unit micro eq, not top quality but it works for bass, though I found the controls so tiny it was hard to dial in precisely)
    • TC 1220, a dual channel dual band parametric in a single rack unit. This would be a nice unit for you, but it is out of production and pretty rare (doesn't even get mentioned on the TC website)
    • Some digital effects units have parametrics among their effects. Controls on these have to be dialed in through a menu, which makes it somewhat less user friendly, but you can program many settings in advance and change rapidly between different eq settings. Both channels will get same eq settings on the average unit, so you will not be able to dial in different settings on left and right channel (wether this is a pro or con depends on what you're trying to achieve). Additional effects and/or built-in tuner can be seen as a bonus.

In your case, I would prefer the first option, a single space mono 4 or 5 band model that had a bypass switch on each band. Dialing in different (or same) eq settings on two channels is not something I could do quickly, would take too much time for me.

But I cannot decide what works best for you, perhaps you can try to find both a used graphic and parametric unit for reasonable prices and see which of the two suits your needs best.

7. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    I personally have the DBX 215 (Dual 15 band eq), so far its working fine for my bass applications. Has a switchable 6 / 12 decibel range so u can switch from subtle to more drastic. 150 bucks.

8. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Thanks everyone for the great input. I feel better informed and able to make a choice - based on how much $ I can get together.

-Qua

9. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Cool :) I would appreciate if you let us know about your experiences.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You don't want this. Ask about it at ProSoundWeb.com. The folks over there say they'd go without EQ rather than use Alesis.

11. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Alesis quality? Like that's a good thing? Yikes.

Find a used Ashley.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I had an Audio Centron Eclipse dual 15-band that worked very well.

13. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Thanks for the opinions about the Alesis. Since I'd really like to limit the rackspace to 1U , my choices are limited. I'm leaning toward the Rane SEQ 30 It has one row of 30 sliders that affect both channels. And I imagine that most of the time I would tend to set both channels the same.

I've been advised that 15-band stereo EQ might tend to affect my sound too much when I just want to notch out an offending frequency. But Rane and others make a dual 15band in 1U. so that's a possibillity as well. I like the Ashly and Symetrix but I think I'd have to go to 2U spaces for those.

the idea of DEQ's being able to store settings is a really cool feature, but the quality DEQ's are more expensive than I can afford right now.

happy Thanksgiving to any one who reads this today !
    -Qua

14. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Ah ! I stand corrected, the Ashly dual 15 band takes up only 1U space. http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ASH-MQX2150.html .

So for a 1U solution for my application, I think I'm down to choosing dual 15 Ashly vs stereo-linked 30band Rane. The cost about the same. Hmmm...

opinions or experience in favor of one over the other?

-Qua

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you want quick - go the parametric route and take the time to learn how to run it - it doesn't take all that long and is well worth the experience. If you were willing to go 2 ru, then a graphic is viable. Still the wrong choice IMO, but usable anyway. 1 ru graphics are just too touchy, too much boost or cut in too little slider for quick stage settings.

If you really want to dial out a problem frew, there is no tool better than a good parametric ...

16. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I agree that a parametric is the better choice, but if you go graphic, get the Ashley.

17. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    I believe that a good parametric would do the job, and may be the best all around choice. And would be a good learning experience. But with my self-imposed limit of 1 rackspace, I don't think there are any 2chnl parametrics out there. (If I can swing it, I may get a 2U parametric anyway. I'm sure its a great tool to have on hand.)

But for my stereo Stick solo live rig, I just don't have much room without getting another flight case. For the moment I'm limited to 1U. Perhaps I'll need to buy/try a couple of 1 U graphic EQs to find out which is best for my immediate needs, and return the one I don't like as much.

-Qua

18. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    There are 1RU 2 ch parametric EQs (Speck), but I don't know your price range.

19. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Just keep an eye open for a used TC1220. It's a dual channel dual band parametric in one rackspace. I don't think there are many out there, but you might accidentaly bump into one. I think it would suit your needs very well.

20. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    the Speck EQ is sweet. 4bands parametric in half rack space $500ea x 2 for two channels takes it well out of my range - unfortunately. I'll scout out the TC.