1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Graphic EQ: the most useful bands?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Oleg BassPlayer, Dec 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    I know it's very subjective, but still. Some EQ pedals I've seen have, say, 500, 3K, 9K bands at the top end, while others - 500, 1K, 4K. Which configuration is going to be more useful?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    For me, Under 5k for bass. I don't use effects that may require a different range.

How I sit in the FOH mix is what drives my eq. goals.

Al Kraft likes this.
  3. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    At any rate, I've just ordered a Dunlop M-108 10-band at a reasonable price. It won't come until Monday, I still have time to think.
    Any cons besides big weight? I've heard it lacks true bypass.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    It has true by-pass.

Nice unit. You can use the 31hz all the way down, like an HPF, to remove rumble and noise.

Start with amp volume low.

5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    looking at the M-108 -

gently boosting 125hz will give a nice low mids boost, and boosting 2khz is handy for accentuating the top end. less is more with EQ, i find!

OP you were after a Steve Harris sound, yes? that might get you somewhat close. of course a lot of his sound is in his right hand playing style with the strings hitting the fretboard.

in general, personally i would roll off over 4khz, and use the 31hz as a low cut, as someone else suggested. YMMV :) ... that pedal looks nice, and fooling around with multiband EQ is a good way of learning about what does and doesn't work for "your" sound.

Gearhead17 and Oleg BassPlayer like this.
  6. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTc3wv1gaTlN-FD0wPRp-6sfmMXIphPsJ8r2cVFMC3dzUphqluXOlEhs2BsTw.

Low end clarity....
    31Hz -3~6dB to remove mud.
    62Hz +1~3dB to restore a bit of low end girth.

For note clarity...
    1/2kHz +3~6dB.
    (1.6kHz is my preferred frequency).

Remove honkiness....
    500/1kHz -1~2dB.

Fuller Mids....
    125/250/500Hz slight boost

Modern/Active tone
    62Hz +3dB
    250Hz -1~2dB
    2/4/8kHz +3~6dB

Sansamp flavour....
    125Hz +3~6dB
    1kHz -6dB
    2/4kHz +3dB
    18kHz -6~12dB.

Gabbs and BeauZooka like this.
  7. If you want to know what each Hz sounds like get your hands on a Eden World Tour (or similar) that lets you adjust the frequencies you're boosting & cutting.
    Luckily for me there's a Nitro Bass rig in the local pawn shop, so I got a chance to muck around with different frequencies.

8. jdaunt

jdaunt

Jun 30, 2016
    Flint
    When i had that pedal i boosted 125 about 3, 250 about 1 and 2K about 1, 500 i cut (to get rid of above mentioned honkiness), dropped 31, 8 and 16 all the way down (8 and 16 got rid of pretty much all finger noise) and kept everything else level.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  9. 96Brigadier

96Brigadier Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Canada