Graphic EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oZZma, Jul 30, 2019.

1. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    I need the graphic EQ but many amps don't have one and this narrows down my options a lot... Someone please explain me what difference does it make to have a built in graphic EQ in the amp or using a pedal. Thanks :)

2. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    The main difference is what the frequency bands are set to on any given device?

Also in pedal form you can choose where you put it in an effects chain.

Low Down Brown, oZZma and Wisebass like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    If you had no other effects snd an amp and a pedal had the same number of sliders at the same frequencies, there would essentially be no difference.

oZZma and Wisebass like this.
  4. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    and where do you place it to have no difference? Before or after the preamp?
    Or is it the same?

5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi oZZma :)

The biggest difference is that you can use your feet for a pedal!!! :D:laugh:

The good thing about a separate eq is,

that you can choose where you put it in your signal chain. (btw: it can be a rack type too, not only a pedal)

You can use it for your FOH sound only.
    (e.g. sending a EQed D.I. signal from your effect board to FOH and a non EQed signal to your amp)

Or only for your stage sound (e.g. in the fx loop sending a pre eq signal to FOH) or both (post eq to FOH)

An onboard eq can be used for FOH + stage or stage only. It will always influence your stage sound!
    (as long as it is switched on)

That' s the main difference!

greetings

Wise(b)ass

javi_bassist, JRA and oZZma like this.
  6. Extra things to carry. Pedal, lead, power supply and strip.

An extra lead or two that can fail.

It can be the start of a nasty pedalboard breeding habit.

If you need it you need it and have to take on the downsides or find an amp that does it.

7. SteveIII

SteveIII

Jul 11, 2019
    Oshawa Ontario
    It also depends if you are getting any distortion from the amps preamp. Eq before the amp affects the tone of the distortion and eq in the effects loop affects the already distorted sound.
    Can you explain why you need a graphic eq?

8. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    As far as I can see people forgot one other obvious difference between a pedal form graphic EQ and one build in in an amp, which is the one of the amp sits in the signal path after the preamp but before the poweramp.

Though you could just put a pedal based graphic EQ in the amps effects loop and it would essentially have the exact same effect.

As someone pointed out going with just buying a pedal form graphic EQ instead on insisting buying an amp with one build in would give you more choices in terms of which frequency bands you would like to have controls over, as you can chose from a lot of different option not having to rely on which amp you happen to like the most, as well as where to place it in your signal chain, plus you would be able to turn it on and off easily with a simple single stomp of your foot.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    jastacey and oZZma like this.
  9. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    I think it's pretty much obvious :) More tone tweakability
    I usually use a clean tone on the bass amp so no distortion or just a very subtle overdrive

10. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    That's what I used to think too. So I started with a Hartke with graphic EQ, was not satisfied, switched to an amp with semi-parametric EQ, was not satisified and finally found the best solution for me:
    The well designed, "musical" and intuitive four band EQ an my GK 700RB. Gives me all the flexibility I need without any hassle. I guess some other 4 band EQs are equally good, Mesa for instance.

oZZma likes this.
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i have a bunch of EQs (pro-audio) and find that they are often handy for some rooms/situations when my onboard EQ comes up a little short = an argument for a separate pedal/rack EQ.

good luck with your EQ'ing issue(s)! :thumbsup:

oZZma and Low Down Brown like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021