1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Graphic EQ's and you

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BbbyBld, Jun 3, 2014.

1. I prefer a graphic EQ

39 vote(s)
    29.8%
  2. It depends on the amp

40 vote(s)
    30.5%
  3. I do not like a graphic EQ

52 vote(s)
    39.7%
  1. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Little bit of market research...you know what to do.

2. Hey Bobby.

It really depends on the amp for me. On my Mark VIII XP I dig the GEq and shelving knobs, but I really like the Ampeg-esk pre on the clean channel on my Classic 400. Having the blendable Fender-esk dirty channel is just icing on the cake. I dont need a GEQ on the tube amp, or parametric mids on the Mark 8.

Which do I prefer? I think it really depends on the natural voicing of the amp.

3. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Please tell me this is not related to the miniMega.

4. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    I like them mostly.

5. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    if the moon is an Aries then yes I like them

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Go off on some tangent about the best frequency centers for metal?

I'm a big fan of fully parametric EQ, but I've always thought that a graphic with differing Q by frequency spectrum location might be kind of cool. How's that for a rabbit hole...[​IMG]

squidtastic and Sartori like this.
  7. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    This is not related to the MiniMega.

I think I'll be having that blue pill :thumbsup:.

8. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I like it if it can be used like a 2nd channel on the amp. Have one for my fingerstyle setting and another for slap...I happen to think slap needs a bit more tweaking than my fingerstyle tone. If it's just layered on top of the same channel or isn't footswitchable then it comes off as next to useless for me if it's on the same amp as a set of knobs.

HolmeBass likes this.
  9. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    :thumbsup:

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I don't really care one way or the other. As long as the amp sounds good and I can tweak it a little bit I'm happy.

11. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I voted depends on the amp with the following explanation: I hooked up my Zoom B3 Via the effects return to see how it would be with my Carvin BX500. I was able to get some really Usable tones and dial in my signature sound. One very cool thing is that the Graphic EQ section still works while using the effects loop(I learned that yesterday). So I can set my favorite Zoom B3 patch and the "tweak" it Via the Sliders on the BX. Also, I run 2 4Ohm cabinets(2 Ohm total) and the BX500 handles it with ease. In the end though, I prefer My Hartke LH1000 with a whopping 3 tone knobs. Pure sweetness!!

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I like them because I can make my amp smile at me when I'm having a bad gig and it makes me feel a little better. Or sometimes I make it frown at the guitar player's antics.

Actually...I'm not really all that into it. On stage, I usually have my hands pretty full of other details rather than tweaking 10 or so bands of EQ. I also don't really want more than 4 bands to mess with for a non-graphic EQ. In the past few years I've been getting great sound from amp setups that have a grand total of THREE EQ controls. Sometimes simple is just right.

TC.65 likes this.
  13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Daryl Jennifer?

BurningSkies likes this.
  14. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Yeah big ol' sloppy q in the bass and low mid region is fine but treble and high mid need some high Q.

Yay, cause that one will be perfect as is.
    I got all scared...

15. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    I voted -depends on the amp, but really, depends on the bass to me. With my passive fender j bass or my upright, I need one. With my active ibanez, not at all.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Hey Bobby,

Depends on the application of course. :)

The graphic you guys put on my T-max has proven plenty workable enough for a bass instrument amplifier, but it's choice of bands/centers, etc. really shines in a small PA application.

As far as instrument specific amps go, GK's serial 4-band hasn't let me down yet. 60, 250, 1k, 4k centers does pretty much what one needs to do with our instrument, is intuitive, and has fixed bandwidths that are musical for both cutting and boosting.

A lot of y'alls amp are very well thought out and very useful, but for some players, graphics can lead to more eq'ing with eyes instead of ears, and there's a whole lot of people who don't intuitively grasp how to get the most out of a fully parametric.

You guys are usually out ahead of the curve on a lot of stuff, but sometimes, you need to simplify things for reasons of being "user-friendly" and letting users get the feeling that "you can't get a bad sound out of a Peavey amp".

17. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    The only times I've used or wished I had a graphic eq were when I had to tune something about the cab. Acoustic 370/301, as an example. Or the Variamp on the old 360 to take out that low mid hump.

I liked both the semiparametric and switchable center frequency mid controls on my old Edens, though.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not that I dislike graphics, but I figure if an amp's normal tone stack works for me, I'd rather use that and skip the graphic.

19. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    If there had been an option for "has no beef with graphic EQs but just has never felt the need to use one" that would be me....

HolmeBass likes this.