Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Graphic EQ's... Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 8mmOD, May 10, 2005.

1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    48.0%
  1. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I tend to look for an amp that I can dial in as quicky and simply as possible. I also only have one sound when I play so I don't need a "boost" or tone change for indivdual songs. But I have been in situations where a graphic eq has really helped out a bad sounding room... or brightened up my tone if I was too lazy to change my strings that day! :) I carry around an eq pedal "just in case", but is a graphic EQ something that you look for as a built in feature of your amp & what style of music are you playing? I play metal... as long as its loud & distorted I am usually happy. :D

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm happy with a 4-band EQ on my GK. Works fine, flat, with a little boost on the bass and mids.

3. agreed, i dig, a low, low mid, high mid, high, set up. it's good enough for my purposes

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I guess I like tweaking my tone a little more than most. I love the 10 band EQ on my Trace heads. I don't have any frequencies pushed/cut more than 2 or 3dB but it makes a difference. I also like being able to isolate problem frequencies when playing a gig.

Also, since me EQ's are foot switchable, I can set them up for boosting a solo or for use with certain effects.

Yea I could do pretty good with just a simple EQ but why should I? :smug:

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Parametric EQ's are sooo much better suited for bass, IMO.

6. um....how bout cuz when people ask for your eq settings on a forum or anywhere else you won't have to start listing a whole bunch of numbers?

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've recently moved from a Hartke 3500 to a Mesa 400+. The 3500 has a 10 band which I used lots. The 400+ has a 7 band which I turn off altogether. I love it to bits without any eq...but I'm happy its there for the room if I need it.

This could all change once my new Dingwall 5 shows up. :hyper:

8. +1 on the parametric. Parametrics just sounds way "smoother" or "cleaner" than graphics. Never liked graphics.

Randy

9. Graphic EQs serve a purpose...but not on amplifiers...Parametric EQ's are the go

31-Band GEQ's are a very necessary tool for the soundman, not the bassist.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I really like the Mesa 400+ and similar Ashdown style EQs with both knobs and graphic EQ. That way, you can get real specific on the frequency to match a room if you need, yet easily dial in a good sound. I think most Trace heads are like this as well.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    graphics are wonderful when they are 31 band for pa work.

some graphics on bass amps are better than others. (the old trace is pretty good), often they have "dead spots" in between bands that you cannot adjust, so even if you move two adjacent sliders, it won't be the same as using a parametric eq in that region.

IMO, fully parametric eq's are the most useful, the bandwidth control can be extremly valuable, and two fully parametric bands plus high and low shelving controls take care of just about any situation.

semi parametric eq's take a second in my book, the fixed bandwiths can be a bummer, some are notched tight, some are wider. but they still offer the flexibility of zooming in on a particular "problem area"

most of the amps/preamps with set bass/mid/treble knobs in the "high end" variety have very useful settings IMO, so i also like those a lot.

the most underrated eq? the alembic superfilter. despite being boost only, the selectable high pass/band pass/low pass per channel and the ability to combine the unfiltered signal with the filtered signals make it an incredible box.

biggest drawback to graphic eq's other than what i mentioned originally? the tendency for players to feel obligated to move every freaking slider. :rolleyes:

12. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I voted No because I don't need any stinking EQ. I run direct. Oops, that wasn't the question was it. :meh:

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Personally, I choose an amp because of the way it sounds, NOT because of the ease of telling others my settings. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

14. either way tho, parametric i prefer, any amp i've tried versus graphic i've sounded better on, simply because of the fact that i don't have to worry about this frequency affecting this part of my tone. when i want bass i turn up the bass knob, when i want treble i turn up treble, when i want mids i turn up the mids. i hate trying to dial in things according to what frequency that part of my sound would dial out to.

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I personally like graphic EQs, as they really help in certain rooms.

16. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Generally, I think they're usually more trouble than they're worth. Just more controls to get in the way of a bass's natural sound. Sometimes they can be a great problem solver, but usually, I personally just muck up my bass's sound with 'em.

17. graphic eqs are cheesey throw-backs from mid-fi stereos and low-fi boom boxes. They have no place on bass preamps, IMO. parametrics, semi parametrics and traditional rotary styles are the only eqs worth using, and even they should be defeatable with a switch.

18. I voted yes, for interpolating 31-band EQ.

I use mine to bring the bi-amp rig to Flat. I then use the IOD controls for any additional tone control, but mostly play those Flat also.

19. don't think id swap my 12-band for anything else. :)

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My preference is for a combination of bass/treble shevling EQ and multiple (at least two) bands of parametric EQ. A one-knob tonal balance control, like the Timbre control on the Thunderfunk or the Balance on a Walter Woods, is also a very handy tool.

But, with that said, I have had some good (and some bad) results with graphic EQ's. My favorite graphic EQ would be the one on my Trace Elliot Twin Valve Combo. I'm not sure what they are doing differently (if anything), but at least on that Twin Valve, the graphic seems more musical, and less notchy/peaky than some other graphic EQ's I have used.

So long as you understand the EQ available, and don't go overboard with mucking up your tone, you should be able to get good results from either parametric or graphic EQ, provided that the gear involved is a quality product.

Tom.