Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Graphic EQ'S

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowend89, Feb 24, 2004.

1. lowend89

lowend89

Feb 24, 2004
    Ok ill prob get ragged for this post, but I need some HELP! I consider myself a decent bassist, but when it comes to sound(EQ wise) i haven't a clue. I currently us a Hartke 3500 350watt head with a 10 band eq ranging from 30hz to 8 Khz, and use a low tuning of dropped D+ 1.5 steps. Like the sound of bands such as mudvayne, 36crazyfists, tool etc... would like to know if anyone could help me with a good setting to give me a good setting so I can have some metallic ring but still have a little lows, so it doesnt sound muddy. All help critisism and ribbing will be accepted thx.

2. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    The 1st step for you should be to get a new bright sounding set of strings and then go from there. If you want metallic ring get some fresh ringing metal on your bass. Then start boosting and cutting things on your EQ. :)

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Most of those bands EQ out most of the midrange to create the impression of more lows then add some treble to get the "click".

Try cutting from about 250 Hz to 1 KHz, then boost all the other bands.

Don't overdo the amount of cut or boost at first, try maybe 1/3 of the way. Then adjust to taste.

Be warned that removing a LOT of mids will require you to turn the amp up louder to be heard.

4. lowend89

lowend89

Feb 24, 2004
    Thanks for the help I bought some DR taper wounds (same as ryan from mudvayne), and will get to tweak out my head this evening, I appreciate the help.