Graphic Equiliser

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kevmee, Oct 21, 2000.

1. kevmee

Oct 21, 2000
    Just got a new Trace Eliot Amp.

It has 7 equilisers ranging from 50hz to 5khz but the only problem is that I don't really know how to use it. Does anybody have any ideas so I can get some good sounds from it?
  2. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    Boost the Lows and highs and reduce middle.... I personally use that setting.. (with a 3-band EQ, sucks)

3. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    How it works: with each slider you can attenuate or boost a range of frequencies centred around the indicated value (i.e. 50Hz). This will NOT change the basic sound of your bass and amp, it will just give more or less emphasis to things wich are already here - that's how I see it.
    Of cause the EQ can have a dramatic influence on your sound, but it will never bring out things wich are not there already.

How I would describe frequency ranges:
    30-60Hz: ground shaking low end rumble, eats up a lot of amp power if you boost it too much but does not help you to cut through the band mix very much. If your amp has enough guts it's the nicest thing of playing bass :D
    80-150Hz: that's were you get 'punch' from
    250-600Hz: cutting this range can avoid boominess ín many situations, boosting can help to cut through better. How to set this range depends VERY much on your bass, amp, cab and room aoustics. While I have my 'standard' settings for the other ranges, I always have to adjust this one.
    around 800Hz: a little boost here brings out notes on the G-string nicely
    2-5kHz: I'm not sure how to describe.., also home of fret noise
    4-10kHz: boosting can 'brighten up' old strings, cutting can avoid hissing

Generally said:
    setting like this :) : 'modern' sound
    setting like this :( : midrangey 'seventies' sound (IMHO)
    W-setting: can be a good compromise between 'modern' sound and good audibility in the mix

I hope this makes sense, but you have to find out what YOU like anyway.

One more point: What sounds good when playing alone sounds completely different with the band playing. What sounds o.k. in the band mix may sound weird and unpleasant when your playing alone!

[Edited by Matthias on 10-21-2000 at 08:33 AM]
  4. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    Hi Kevmee,

I've also got a Trace 7 band combo amp (7215 SM). It has a great and very precise EQ section.

The Trace seems to be designed to have a very natural or 'flat' sound without the EQ or 'Pre-Shape' switches engaged. A flat, unaltered sound is probably not going to be your favorite, since any 'imperfections' in the the bass are uncorrected.

The Pre-Shapes are the place to start with your amp. If your amp has 2 different ones, then #1 is probably the only one you'll use. It has the 'smiley-face' EQ curve that Alexvs and Matthias both mentioned. Trace uses EQ frequncies and 'bandwidth' (an important aspect of EQ affecting the range [in octaves] surrounding the EQ 'center-point.') that are special to Trace; instead of freqs on the front panel EQ. Most manufacturers do this, and keep the bandwidth (or sometimes called 'Q') secret...since it helps create the 'secret recipie' of sound that makes amps sound unique.

Anyway, Pre-Shape #1 can be APPROXIMATED, but not duplicated on the graphic EQ.

You might want to use the graphic EQ to 'touch up' the pre-shapes. Think of EQ as a dash of salt or pepper, instead of barbeque sauce. I'll usually use P.S #1 and, if I'm playing loud, I'll cut the 50hz by about 3db (to save amp power, like Matthias said) and maybe also cut 5khz by 2db (or boost by 2db if the strings are old...)

Sorry about the long-winded rambling...hope this helps, everyone else here has good, sensible advice!

Best Wishes
  5. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I'm not to familiar with your Trace, but if you can switch the EQ off, do it. Try to get into the habit of using the EQ to only make adjustments based on room conditions. Some rooms may suck the high end out and some suck your lows.;) Boost those necessary frequencies to compensate. Try to use the tone controls on your amp and bass to dial in the sound first. This is just my opinion.
    Matthias, good point on what may not sound good solo, sounds great in the mix.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ya gotta be careful with those "smiley-face" EQ settings...midrange is where all the "cut" is in a bass and while reduced mids can sound awesome when playing by yourself, it's an easy way to get drowned out on the gig. Also boosting bass uses a lot of power (ears are less sensitive to lows than to the midrange) so your amp will run out of headroom faster. Sometimes goosing the lower mids (about 250 Hz) gives an impression of more bottom than boosting the real lows (100 Hz or below).

7. The traditional V-shaped curve is good when playing alone, but definately suck when playing with others like drums and guitar, you need that mid to cut through. Eq is the spice of your amp, in my and manys opinion. Fiddle around with it and you will find the spice of your liking. :)

Good Luck.
  8. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    That's nice! (and also what I meant by saying you will never bring out things wich are not there already)

You can have curry chicken, or sweet-sour chicken, or what ever chicken you like, but chicken will never taste like a steak!
    Same with SWR and Ampeg, Alembic and Stingray, whatever.

[Edited by Matthias on 10-25-2000 at 10:30 AM]
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Remember this: A little EQ goes a long way. If you're boosting or cutting more than about 3 dB on any band, you're probably overdoing it. Although you may like the sound of 800 or 1000 cut all the way. Maybe not. Half the fun of getting a new amp is diddling around with it to see what you've got.
  10. So VERY true. I'll second both of them :)