Graphic-reinforced necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Feb 8, 2002.

1. I'm a bit confused as to how the graphite is incorporated into the neck. I believe that the graphite makes the neck stiffer so you don't have to adjust the truss rod as often but...

When I search the internet, I can't find a site that explains what they do with the graphite. Is the truss-rod made out of graphite? Is it wrapped in the graphite? Is it like a graphite hockey stick? If so, can someone explain how graphite helps hockey sticks???

Just curious...
  2. Interesting...I wasn't considering a Warmoth because I never saw one at the music stores but thanks for the link.

However, another question. They make reference to a "dead note". What is a dead note? I've never had someone point one out to me.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A dead note, or dead spot, as is often called, is a spot on the neck, typically on the "G" string between the 3rd and 6th frets, though most often around the 4th fret (B).

What it is is a spot on the neck where the note tends to decay faster than the other notes on the neck. Since the note decays faster, having less sustain, the note is said to be "dead".