Graphite back up delima

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Im tired of messing with wood and going all graphite. Im looking to make me a decent back up and i was wondering what would think would give over all best results and be cheaper. Getting a mim jazz bass and swaping out the pickups and putting a moses graphite neck or getting a warmoth all the parts and graphite neck. I thought about subbing the mim fender for an essex jazz but im not sure if they wouldnt give me the results of the mim fender.
  2. I Built one of these for one of these for my gf and she couldnt be happiers..

This is My Equation..!!!

One Fender Body can be found on Ebay for under $100....her's was Olympic White

One Status Graphite Replacement Neck....the best I have used.!!!....$350-400

Set of Status Hyperactive Pickups with Status 3 Band EQ (stacked Pots)....$300 second hand

Total cost with Hardware was $950...for one killer of a Jazz bass that eats Fenders for breakfast :)....

I could have cheaper electronics than the Status's to shave maybe $100 off the price..but she liked the Status sound but couldnt afford the $3000 for the top wack one :)...

Just my Idea.. :)
  3. So you want a good quality bass, and you're going to skimp money on a body that's made of wood sourced from where??

That makes sense...
  4. Yeah. Don't cheese out on a "backup" you expect to outplay the original. If you're gonna go the graphite route, it's going to expose, as a result of its inherent properties, flaws in the other parts of the bass' "whole".

Cheaper just isn't a variable here. It's either too much "dressing" on a turd, or an insult to the graphite's potential...

The Essex..who knows? MIM? Who knows... it's a crapshoot.

Now if you had a MIM jazz you've been playing for a while that was "on", and then the neck tweaked, go that route. I just see the potentail for a lot of spent money contributing to lackluster results.
  5. You did a much better job of saying what I was thinking- and without being an annoying smartazz.
  6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'd watch ebay. Search the Fender jazz bass section and the modulus section. I recently saw a Jazz(I think either MIA or Warmoth)body w/a Moses neck, the top bid was around $450.00. I see similar setups frequently, and the prices are great for the buyer.

About 6 months ago I sold a Warmoth P-J bass with a Moses J-style neck, Badass-II bridge, EMG P/J's, Schaller tuning gears & straplocks. The bass was just like new, hardly played. The most I could get for it was $450.00 so that seems to be the going price. I figure I paid around $1100.00 total putting it together, so I really took it in the shorts! :crying:

Unfortunately, IME Warmoth-kit instruments have crappy resale value regardless of the quality of the hardware used. If you're uncomfortable with ebay, I'd watch the used market for a used MIJ Jazz and add the Moses neck to that, and stash the stock neck. Or better yet, save the money up for a used Modulus VJ series bass.

7. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    look around. You'll find an affordable, good quality used bass.....Be patient and do your homework