1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Graphite back up delima

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Im tired of messing with wood and going all graphite. Im looking to make me a decent back up and i was wondering what would think would give over all best results and be cheaper. Getting a mim jazz bass and swaping out the pickups and putting a moses graphite neck or getting a warmoth all the parts and graphite neck. I thought about subbing the mim fender for an essex jazz but im not sure if they wouldnt give me the results of the mim fender.

2. I Built one of these for one of these for my gf and she couldnt be happiers..

This is My Equation..!!!

[​IMG]

One Fender Body can be found on Ebay for under $100....her's was Olympic White

One Status Graphite Replacement Neck....the best I have used.!!!....$350-400

Set of Status Hyperactive Pickups with Status 3 Band EQ (stacked Pots)....$300 second hand

Total cost with Hardware was $950...for one killer of a Jazz bass that eats Fenders for breakfast :)....

I could have cheaper electronics than the Status's to shave maybe $100 off the price..but she liked the Status sound but couldnt afford the $3000 for the top wack one :)...

Just my Idea.. :)

3. So you want a good quality bass, and you're going to skimp money on a body that's made of wood sourced from where??

That makes sense...

4. Yeah. Don't cheese out on a "backup" you expect to outplay the original. If you're gonna go the graphite route, it's going to expose, as a result of its inherent properties, flaws in the other parts of the bass' "whole".

Cheaper just isn't a variable here. It's either too much "dressing" on a turd, or an insult to the graphite's potential...

The Essex..who knows? MIM? Who knows... it's a crapshoot.

Now if you had a MIM jazz you've been playing for a while that was "on", and then the neck tweaked, go that route. I just see the potentail for a lot of spent money contributing to lackluster results.

5. You did a much better job of saying what I was thinking- and without being an annoying smartazz.

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'd watch ebay. Search the Fender jazz bass section and the modulus section. I recently saw a Jazz(I think either MIA or Warmoth)body w/a Moses neck, the top bid was around $450.00. I see similar setups frequently, and the prices are great for the buyer.

About 6 months ago I sold a Warmoth P-J bass with a Moses J-style neck, Badass-II bridge, EMG P/J's, Schaller tuning gears & straplocks. The bass was just like new, hardly played. The most I could get for it was $450.00 so that seems to be the going price. I figure I paid around $1100.00 total putting it together, so I really took it in the shorts! :crying:

Unfortunately, IME Warmoth-kit instruments have crappy resale value regardless of the quality of the hardware used. If you're uncomfortable with ebay, I'd watch the used market for a used MIJ Jazz and add the Moses neck to that, and stash the stock neck. Or better yet, save the money up for a used Modulus VJ series bass.

-A.P.

7. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    look around. You'll find an affordable, good quality used bass.....Be patient and do your homework