Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Graphite basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by onebird, Mar 22, 2002.

1. onebird

onebird

Mar 22, 2002
    I am the director of a jazz program for teenagers. We have mostly electric bassists, and our bass teacher wants us to rent or purchase a db so that the kids can use it while they are in class here, and maybe get more kids interested in playing acoustic.

Someone told me that graphite basses are now being made - they are inexpensive and obviously lightweight. They might be just the thing we are looking for. However he didn't remember the company that made them, and I don't know where to start to look for them (I am not a bass player) Any advise is very much appreciated. TIA.;)

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    No ideas on pencil-lead basses here :) But I might throw in the idea that you find a smaller, maybe even a 1/2 size, if you can, and then definitely spend a little extra cash to get it set up properly. The reason I recommend the smaller bass is that it would be more widely usable by people of incomplete stature as well as those considering the leap from Slab, and the setup recommendation so that students aren't turned away from the instrument by having their first Bass experience on something unplayable.

Also, if you're considering graphite because of the maintainance issues, then I would add that plywood basses, with reasonable care, tend to be pretty low maintainance.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    The only Graphite bass that I'm aware of is the Quintus, made in Flagstaff, AZ. They are available in 1/2 and 3/4 size. They range in price from $9500 for the 1/2, to about 15k for a top of the line model. The most expensive ones are built up in seperate sections, similar to a wood bass; the others are molded in one piece. They are available in several colors, including a woodgrain one that looks okay in an orchestra. The only wood parts are the bridge and the soundpost.
    I agree with Ray on the plywood. There are some excellent ply basses available now, check this forum for "best plywood ever" for instance. Got to be a step up from the fiberglass basses that some of us (ahem) started out on.... :rolleyes:

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    :eek:

Wow, they quoted me prices of $5500 for a 3/4 two years ago...that's a big jump to $15,000!!!Are you sure?

Who would buy one? Even at $5500 they seemed expensive.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Those are list prices quoted to me online from Quintus day before yesterday. Dunno what kind of retail break one might expect.
    Just went back and checked their Email. The actual retail fot the most expensive model is $14,600. Shipped here, it would be at least 15k.:eek: